Lifting on a Trolley Jack

I am right in thinking I can lift the rear of the car on the Diff so lifts centrally, then put axle stands each side on the chassis rails.

I’ve always wondered about this but never tried it.

Harry, do you just put the trolley jack under the diff and lift?

steve

I will put some sponge it the cup of the trolley jack

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Steve,

basically yes. If you have a drain plug then use a stout piece of wood make a hole for the plug to pass into.

You will need a high lift jack. or support the jack on blocks (safely)

Roger 

Thanks Roger.

as i do have a drain plug i think i’ll make an ‘adapter’ out of a large chunk of wood to increase lift and fit the diff !

something to do on a rainy lockdown afternoon :-)

which is handy as i’ve run out of things to do on Scruffy, by lockdown motorbike project !

steve

Took a look at some photos, its too cold to look at the car!, and i think the rear ARB is going to be in the way?

35A37AAF-E4B7-4C5B-8A29-304C2C9F6CC6.png

32 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Took a look at some photos, its too cold to look at the car!, and i think the rear ARB is going to be in the way?

35A37AAF-E4B7-4C5B-8A29-304C2C9F6CC6.png

Probably, but I’d be more worried about the ‘go faster’ red paint on the diff.  Roger’s idea of a strip of wood but with a hole in it to mount over the drain plug could be a goer.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

A wood block, with ahole for the drain plug, might be improved by a recess chiselled into the faceso that the diff can rest in it.   Mpre sstable and pread tht load on the wood - the diff, I think can take it.   I'd also put some long wood screws, or bolts across the blcok, across the grain, to reinforce and prevent any risk of splitting.

The small chassis cars have a convenient chassis cross member right behind the diff, but its lower surface is at an angle and you risk the jack, or a block, slipping off, so I've made a block like below, also reinforced with long screws, two sets, one to support the lip.

29711708_Rearjackingpad.png.35ef646a2f990da9a6481238eb5ed009.png

I was told the diff was painted red to indicate it containes an LSD, so i repainted it red when i renewed the seals, i like it!

i might measure up for a wooden block like that, and the screws are a good idea, thanks

2 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

With the current economic situation you have to make a crust somehow :rolleyes:;)

No, this is the type of LSD that stops excessive spinning rather than causing it ! 

14 hours ago, Paulfc said:

Stuart,

Thanks, so what was the rationale to paint the diff red? Apologies if the question is a daft one but presumably there is explanation - and I hate not knowing :mellow:.

As stated above to denote its an LSD.

Stuart.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:54 PM, stuart said:

As stated above to denote its an LSD

Is that a competition rule, or an industry thing? I'm feeling left out - my car has an LSD but in a stealth unpainted housing!

I'm guessing someone had more than one Diff in store.     Marks the LSD one in an obvious way,as it can be tricky to tell them on the shelf.

Returning to the OP, here's a gadget that might make lifting gearbox on a jack easier:   https://www.amazon.co.uk/vidaXL-Transmission-Adaptor-Automotive-Floor/dp/B00L8FXDB4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=gearbox+jack&qid=1612696123&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNVFlYQ1hWMTk5MEYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5ODMxNTkyOTVHTEFJQ1dERFBYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNzgzMjAzMElOMDJGRzRWOEhFJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

(available from other vendors)

image.png.8a875e3b73a5d0b1097d03f9b8e804c3.png

Edited by john.r.davies

Whilst on the subject of lifting.

Having put the car on 4 axle stands located on major chassis rails and keeping finding jobs whilst it's up is there any reason not to leave suspended for a few months as we're not going anywhere soon thus saving flat spots on the Tyre's.

Not for me, the suspension will go onto full depression putting it in overextension and possible strain areas. Although the shock absorbers are fine in momentary use up to their extremities I prefer not to suspend by the chassis and leave the 4 wheels dangle at their own unnatural angles. 

If CV driveshafts are fitted it's particularly to be avoided, the shock aborber helps prevent the driveshafts achieving overextension which can cause damage to the joints internals and should not be removed to allow full uncontrolled droop of trailing arms on the IRS cars.

So my choice is to lift the car by jacks... or jackstands placed under the hubs (bolted onto the wheelstuds), allowing the car to not even realise it is minus wheels and more especially the suspension componentry to still be within it's normal operating range. Everybody has their own views.

Mick Richards