Evening all

I am moving onto the engine rebuild and just though I should see how any body else approached removing pistons and wet liners that are probably past their best. I am currently thinking take crankshaft out {have not taken sump off to have a look down there yet) then lots of heat and beat the liners out then do whatever it takes to recover the con rods. I have got the muttering and foul language sorted. 

Thanks for any help

Adrian

IMG_20210201_194616.jpg

1st step apply penetrating fluid (or diesel) into the bores to loosen off the pistons.

Remove sump, big end & main caps (keep the big end caps in order), & crankshaft. A simple tool for removing the rear main bearing cap is shown in the workshop manual.

Using a suitable lump of wood & a large hammer drift the pistons downwards & out (hopefully)

invert the block & using a larger lump of wood &  large hammer drift the liners downwards & out.

Mine came out with a shower of rust !

1966257541_Linersout.thumb.jpg.8b32fbd3a8f8e09daca767ad4ae88ba6.jpg

Bob.

Hi Adrian

I dealt with an engine like that on the street in Glasgow. I took off the sump disconnected the big ends and knocked out the liners with a heavy drift and a lump hammer. The pistons were still seized in the liners and were removed by breaking the liners, they are quite brittle. Looks like you have a job on your hands.

Cheers Richard

Diesel really works !

for lockdown1 i bought an old 1970s motorbike that had been standing for more than 20 years and was siezed solid

after a few days with diesel in the barrels i was able to move the pistons

steve

My late father in law used to collect stationary engines, a lot of which he 'acquired' from the hedgerows of Worcestershire where they had been dumped in the 50's and 60's and to get them freed up for rebuild, he swore by a good soaking in .............................Diesel,  so think there is a trend going on here is that why 'Plus gas' smells so much like diesel I wonder ? 

On 2/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, Lebro said:

1st step apply penetrating fluid (or diesel) into the bores to loosen off the pistons.

Remove sump, big end & main caps (keep the big end caps in order), & crankshaft. A simple tool for removing the rear main bearing cap is shown in the workshop manual.

Using a suitable lump of wood & a large hammer drift the pistons downwards & out (hopefully)

invert the block & using a larger lump of wood &  large hammer drift the liners downwards & out.

Mine came out with a shower of rust !

1966257541_Linersout.thumb.jpg.8b32fbd3a8f8e09daca767ad4ae88ba6.jpg

Bob.

It becomes somewhat of a challenge if the crank won't turn. It is then extremely difficult to get at all the big end nuts. Mine also took more than a block of wood and I even failed with an iron pipe with a bronze cap on the business end. A 50 ton press did the trick but broke one of the cylinder liners. The block turned out to be OK. Tom

I couldn't move mine using a block and 4lb hammer so I had a plug made up at my local machine shop. Cost a bit but the liners then came out easily. Don't worry about damaging the liners as you will have to replace them anyway. I ended up with 87mm pistons and liners from Racetorations as the first set I got of std 86mm from another supplier were rubbish and one split. The plug I got made is for 86mm liner so that is what the step is.

Des.

DSC02018.JPG

1 hour ago, DesNoble said:

I couldn't move mine using a block and 4lb hammer so I had a plug made up at my local machine shop. Cost a bit but the liners then came out easily. Don't worry about damaging the liners as you will have to replace them anyway. I ended up with 87mm pistons and liners from Racetorations as the first set I got of std 86mm from another supplier were rubbish and one split. The plug I got made is for 86mm liner so that is what the step is.

Des.

DSC02018.JPG

Handy tool Des but it looks to me like the block Des has is like mine with the pistons stuck in the liners and the liners stuck in the block. One has push on the rods as they can't be removed with the pistons stuck. Hopefully that's not the case with Des' but if it is it can be done.

Tom

Yes I was able to get the pistons out after soaking them in something like WD40. However without something like the tool I got the skirt of the liner is very thin and a small target if your using a 4lb persuader.

Des.