Just in the process of fitting wheel arch protectors.

What are the thoughts about the existing front baffle plates, leave in place as a second layer of protection or remove.

The under wings are sealed against the outer wing with the rubber seal but is it necessary advisable to seal the inner edge with a cartridge sealant as it looks as if water could get it.

It's difficult to do much with the plenum water drainage tube without wing removal but suggestions appreciated.

Cheers Phil

42 minutes ago, Phil H 4 said:

Just in the process of fitting wheel arch protectors.

What are the thoughts about the existing front baffle plates, leave in place as a second layer of protection or remove.

The under wings are sealed against the outer wing with the rubber seal but is it necessary advisable to seal the inner edge with a cartridge sealant as it looks as if water could get it.

It's difficult to do much with the plenum water drainage tube without wing removal but suggestions appreciated.

Cheers Phil

Did mine last year.

I had no baffle plates so that was easy. Also used polyurethane sealant where required (belt and braces). Left the drainage tube as is.. Just make sure the gap at the bottom of the wing is clear. I also don't leave the heater flap open when its raining :-)

Tim

I still fit the baffle plates regardless and make sure they are well sealed, when fitting the shields make sure you trim them so they are a good fit with the outer rubber seal but I wouldnt worry about any other sealing. Fit them with Rivnuts and machine screws that way they can be removed if required easily further down the line.

Stuart.

9 hours ago, stuart said:

I still fit the baffle plates regardless and make sure they are well sealed

I just have the std baffle plates at the moment but am thinking of adding wheel arch protectors and think keeping the existing baffle plates is a good idea but what is well sealed?

Is it just making sure the rubber seals are in place and secure(ish) or really going to town with a sealant so there are zero gaps anywhere?

I've already fitted a drain tube from the bonnet channel to outside the baffle plate near the bottom.

Cheers    Keith

11 hours ago, Keith66 said:

I just have the std baffle plates at the moment but am thinking of adding wheel arch protectors and think keeping the existing baffle plates is a good idea but what is well sealed?

Is it just making sure the rubber seals are in place and secure(ish) or really going to town with a sealant so there are zero gaps anywhere?

I've already fitted a drain tube from the bonnet channel to outside the baffle plate near the bottom.

Cheers    Keith

Seal the whole panel in properly thats a bead of sealant down the channel of the rubber where it meets the wing plus all the way round where it meets the toe board and round the bolt holes. Basically common sense sealing as there a lot or road water/dirt heading in its direction, also seal round where your drain tube exits.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
3 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

I was looking to use Dinitrol 410 polyurethane sealer ?

Phil

Only if you never want to remove them again. I use this 3M sealer  https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2118

Stuart.

Thanks for the direction Stuart will get a couple of tubes.

Having given a good coating of cavity wax, an underbody treatment and more wax to follow before fitting the shields I hope they never have to come off until the next rebuild which will be my daughter's problem.:blink:

147.jpg

Backs ready to be fitted, fronts being painted.

What's next ?

As has been said already on the forum the longer lockdown continues and the more I read, the more I spend !

My wifes started calling her Loreal as she questions each delivery...I say yer but she's worth it.

IMG_6182.jpg