For what it's worth, I've had gas struts on the one-piece front end of my GT6 getting on for 20 years. Not the same as a TR of course, but heavier as the GT6 front includes the wings and inner wheel arch bowls. It uses a pair of gas struts running from brackets bolted to the front of the chassis (where the valance mounts) up to the inner wheel arches. There are plates to spread the load on the wheel arches.

The struts provide a little assist with raising the front end but are nowhere near strong enough to lift it on their own. They also limit the height to which it lifts and stabilise it when lifted, much as the original hinged stay would have done. The front of my car been raised and lowered literally hundreds of times over the years without any problem.

Nigel

Is it worth the effort?

I have them on the boot as I can't stand the rattly stay. RS do adjustable struts so you can bleed pressure to match the weight of the panel.

Jerry

9 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

RS do adjustable struts

Hi Jerry,

Who is RS? If possible, please would you post a link? I too hate the rattly strut, and the ratchet on mine is very hit & miss. Perhaps there's a trick I don't know about.

John

RS components.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=ideas-and-advice/gas-springs-guide

It's not a simple swap. A gas strut when compressed puts a large stress on the end points so will easily flex an unsupported bracket.

Jerry

Had a TR4A in a few years ago with a pair someone had fitted and it was not a success as theres just enough twist in the bonnet when trying to push down against them as you have to push down from the side for it to allow the catch to go out of alignment, if it was a front opening bonnet it would work as you could push in the middle.

Why are you thinking of going that route?

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Neil,

An alternative (or additional) method could be a torsion spring at both hinges, to take some of the load, not all. I feel the bonnet frame is too light for gas struts alone.

Cheers,

Waldi

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Had a TR4A in a few years ago with a pair someone had fitted and it was not a success as theres just enough twist in the bonnet when trying to push down against them as you have to push down from the side for it to allow the catch to go out of alignment, if it was a front opening bonnet it would work as you could push in the middle.

Why are you thinking of going that route?

Stuart.

Simple the 4/5 is fact a weaker bonnet as you know the price for those who just drop it shut also the 6 bonnet must be in good condition, I am working on a different design and will let you know the progress thanks to all and those that have been in contact