Bleeding brake sequence discrepency.

In my Workshop manual for my TR6 it says, when bleeding the brakes start at the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder.

In my Mityvac handbook it says, follows the manufacturers recomendation (if known). Procedure given in this article specifies to begin bleeding wheel closest to the master cylinder, !!!!!I wonder why the difference? I thought it was a general rule to start on the one furthest away. Any ideas?

I always remember the general rule of bleeding the longest run first, to lessen chance of pushing air back into an already bled line.

for the 6 the gunsons eazibleed kit used with an old 6 brake reservoir cap transforms the experience

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6

Could it be that the configurations vary?

ie the tr6 has the dual mc reservoir serving both front and rear

or.... focus on the front first as it’s most important?

i’ll have a beer and think about it !

As I was always a Triumph man it was always back first. I thought the idea was to get rid of air bubbles and if you start at the front there are air bubbles at the back which are very hard to remove.

I think it's cause as someone already pointed out the front and rear circuits are separate, so it shouldn't matter starting at the front of back. 

I still think it's better to do the longest run in each circuit first though. 

Gareth

1 hour ago, Peter Douglas Winn said:

Gareth I see you had a split screen camper was that a VW T1?

Yes Peter it was a VW although we always referred to them as Type 2 (Type 1 being a Beetle), it was a 1966 walk through with a Devon camping interior. The engine seized on the Dartford crossing one time, I've never known a vehicle to roll so slowly down such a steep incline! 

I had it lowered, replaced the bottom 6 inches and got the lower half painted, fitted Empi style five spoke wheels and a 1600 engine. 

Was a lot of fun, do you have an interest in air-cooled VW's?

Gareth

Just a thought, looking for an explanation:

The long brake pipe(s) to the rear can contain more air compared to the front ones. So starting at the rear may get rid of most air? Not sure if true though. I always started randomly over the past 40 years on several different cars/makes and always have managed to properly bleed the brakes. So doubt there is a clear advantage in starting at the rear end.

Waldi

Many years ago my friend and I, had nothing to do so we drove to Afghanistan in a VW T2. (Official designation in Germany) On the way we met some people in a T1. They let me drive it. In Persia it was not the right transport. There were no roads, just very bumpy dirt tracks. The T1 suspension was so soft, I felt like a bouncy rubber ball. Speed was governed by the engine temp. Air temp 108 F. We had already put a temp guage in. All in all great fun.

We used to say you could check your speedo milage using the VW 3rd cylinder. It always went bust within a few miles of circa 80,000 cooling problem.

Edited by Peter Douglas Winn
spelling mistake