Is there any difference in the surrey top in terms of fitting to a TR4A over a TR4 or did the same Surrey Top fit both?

Many thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul,

the 4 & 4A are identical in the fabric surrey roof department.

The TR4 surrey top and convertible are the same fitting

The TR4A surrey and convertible are different.  The surrey tucks under the screen frame cap.

The convertible has a latch arrangement that also requires a different sun visor bracket arm (it is bent).

Roger

Thanks Roger as always.

So, if I have this right.

If I put a Surrey on my TR4A it is a matter of

1: Replace convertible hood frame with Surrey frame and backlight.

2: If using a canvas Surrey roof no problem in fitting straight on.

3: If I want to use a hard Surrey roof the brackets for the convertible roof have to come off.

4: Does the windscreen cap on the TR4A have to be replaced/altered to take the hard Surrey top?

5: Understand on the sun visor bracket. Has anyone got a picture of this?

Many thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

to fit a surrey rear frame/back light - remove the convertible frame and any popper studs on the bodywork.   The rear frame should then fit on.

The windscreen frame top cap will need replacing as the Surrey fabric top needs to tuck under an extended nose on the cap. 

Remove the convertible roof clamps from the windscreen frame upper flange.

The convertible roof sunvisor brackets are ok for use on the Surrey version. 

Roger

Hi Paul,

If you search 'TR4A Surry top conversion' on the Forum you will find plenty of discussion re: this subject.

I started the topic as I have done exactly this, but rather than go to the expense of changing the windscreen, I used the 4A headrail. Have a look and it will become clear. As Stuart say's if you search the Forum most topics have been covered in some way.

Regards

Rich

Thanks All

I'll have search.

Best

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, Jase said:

Or fit the Revington upgrade with a TR5/6 windscreen frame. I believe, I'm just working all of this out as a newbie.

Hi Jase,

I'm just about to do the same and go for the Revington TR "SURREY TOP KIT FIXED front" https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr6139bk/name/surrey-top-kit-fixed-front-tr4-6-blk .

Have you installed it and can you share some feedback from your experience with it?

Thanks, Albert

Edited by Maverick
12 hours ago, Jase said:

I aven't bought one yet. Waiting for the Revival backlight and then that is next on my shopping list. I already have a later screen fitted so should be straight forward I hope.

So that`ll be nearly a £4k conversion then?

Stuart.