Spin off oil filter

My TR4 has a spin off conversion with a Mahle OC21 filter. This has been on since the rebuild by the previous owner. As far as i can tell I have no issues but when I checked an older thread (2009) there is mention of a Mahle OC 47 (discontinued) and a Mahle OC154 (replacement). I have no idea which of the 3 (if any) is correct and am loathe to change makes.

Any thoughts?

Andy

There is really no 'correct' filter for the spin-off kit since Triumph never specified it - there are just filters which fit, and there are loads of those.

If you really want to stick to Mahle a quick web search finds this:

https://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.com/eu/product.xhtml?eid=1537#divider

from which you can see the OC21 doesn't have an anti-drain valve nor a bypass valve

the OC154 has been replaced by the OC 264 which has no anti-drain valve but does have a bypass valve. Being a longer body there is more filter area than the OC21. 

Other makes of filter have both types of valve and it's possible Mahle also make one. 

12 minutes ago, RobH said:

the OC154 has been replaced by the OC 264 which has no anti-drain valve but does have a bypass valve. Being a longer body there is more filter area than the OC21. 

Is it desirable to have a bypass valve, Rob?

Only if there is a possibility of the filter getting blocked.  I guess you change it often enough for that not to happen !

I thought there was a bypass valve in the filter head, or have I got that wrong ?

as for an anti drain valve, not required as the filter is more or less the right way up anyway. 

Bob.

35 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I thought there was a bypass valve in the filter head, or have I got that wrong ?

as for an anti drain valve, not required as the filter is more or less the right way up anyway. 

Bob.

I think you are right about the bypass valve

Andy

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Only if there is a possibility of the filter getting blocked.  I guess you change it often enough for that not to happen !

True

9 minutes ago, Ocheye said:

I think you are right about the bypass valve

Andy

+1 on this and the anti drain issue.

More important I think is the capacity of the filter.

Something suitable for a twin cylinder 500 cc engine would probably not have the filtering and flow capacity of a filter for an 8 cylinder 5 litre diesel truck engine.  

Peter W

On 1/29/2021 at 3:47 PM, Lebro said:

Bob.

Hi Bob, just reading this thread because there is not a lot happening on the TR3 site at the moment. I thought that the by pass valve in the filter head releases when the pressure gets above a set level and just dumps the excess oil back into the sump. The by pass valve in the filter releases when the filter gets clogged and allows unfiltered oil past so that the engine is still lubricated, subtle difference. Probably not needed anyway in the oil filter as I am sure current owners will not run their cars without changing oil and filter long enough for the filter to get clogged.

Ralph.

I will have to check now, but you are talking about the pressure relief valve, which limits the oil pressure - 75 PSI  I think there is another sprung valve which bypasses the filter.

Bob.