TR4 has resonance/ noise / vibration

Hi Chaps 

still sorting out my TR4 , it has a resonance  it's not too bad at low revs  but when I get to 2500 revs it  comes in , it gets worse around 3000 revs, it's not too loud but the frequency is hard on the ears  , it doesn't seem to vibrate too much  , I've checked the exhaust and body mounts they look OK, also I have the exhaust pipe fixed to  the bellhousing ( or there abouts? ) could that be the problem? ---any ideas ?--Barry

1 hour ago, barrytr4 said:

Hi Chaps 

I have the exhaust pipe fixed to  the bellhousing ( or there abouts? ) could that be the problem? ---any ideas ?--Barry

I would say thats definitely not going to help. Should be a mount at the rear of the gearbox. Item 33 on here Exhaust

Stuart.

Hi Chaps 

thanks for the replies, fairly sure it's not touching at the cruciform but hard to see at the front, , I have the ex' pipe mounted firm to the b /house, is it a firm (solid?) mount to the gear/ box?,prob' same thing?  The more I think about, it may be something is touching engine/ chassis as it doesn't  rattle  just comes in gradual , I'll let you know when I find out -----Barry

2 hours ago, barrytr4 said:

Hi Chaps 

thanks for the replies, fairly sure it's not touching at the cruciform but hard to see at the front, , I have the ex' pipe mounted firm to the b /house, is it a firm (solid?) mount to the gear/ box?,prob' same thing?  The more I think about, it may be something is touching engine/ chassis as it doesn't  rattle  just comes in gradual , I'll let you know when I find out -----Barry

I think they are much the same thing. Its the rear rubber gearbox mount that provides the isolation from the chassis. IIRC, MGBs had the intermediate pipe clamped to the lower bellhousing - as long as the engine and gearbox mounts are in good order then the whole assembly is isolated and vibration should be as minimized as it will ever be. That said, what is the condition of the rear mount?

Has the car had a replacement front pipe.  There are duds around see this thread which contains helpful images of the pipework through the chassis and mounting at the gearbox (yes I know it is TR2 images)  Plus the views of the badly shaped replacement front pipe.

NOTE - The speedo cable should not dangle below the car!

Hi Barry

The 4 cylinder TR engines have an inherent problem of resonance at around 2500/3000 rpm there is as already stated a gearbox damper that was fitted as a factory fix ??? some resonate more than others my does but its no big deal for me I think the only real way to deal with it is a full engine balance. This subject has been discussed in the forum if you do a search 

Chris

Hi Mates --thanks for the replies so far, all depends on engine rev's even stationary , I didn't put the half-moon balancer piece on , couldn't find it ,  don't understand it either--I think I will get a friend to ride w/ me to get a second opinion , and see what they think--Barry

Hi mates -------took it for another spin w/ a friend, so, it's not dependent on speed,  it comes in  around 2300 goes at 2700 revs , my mate said vibration but all I think is  a loud roar that hard on the ears, So what's the symptom of an out of balance  engine? --Barry

Hi Mates--Just remembered, when I was at the  triumph repairers a few weeks ago he was commenting on a noise in the engine ( I couldn't hear it? ) he said it might be a water pump bearing, can't see it coming in 23-27k though--barry-