Alloy wheels Tr3

20 hours ago, R.M. said:

Nice, BETTER THAN WIRE'S, yes i said that out loud, much better than wire wheels seeing as everyone has them old things these days ( ooh burn me in the wicker man for heresy).

+1

Ghastly things wires, best suited to prams  and vintage  mg’s.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I was always impressed with the early alloy wheels on the Bugatti like the type 35. Very advanced. and I think really look the part. 
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hemmings.com/stories/2016/11/29/a-three-owner-1925-bugatti-type-35-grand-prix-seeks-caretaker-four-in-scottsdale/amp

I’m not saying they are the earliest to have alloys!

But if they are good enough for a Bugatti they are certainly good enough you a TR3(a)

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Think they look stunning.

John.

Wires or the alloys.?

The alloys do look excellent.  Wires are a period accessory for those with time on their hands to clean them.  

I like steels, with hubcaps or alternatively with the rare Ace Mercury trims.

image.thumb.jpeg.287b050bfcb9c54c5b7605ba4cb7a208.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d43c37e3106d4f27cef740052f2e2dd6.jpeg

Picture above courtesy of Andrew Smith.

image.thumb.jpeg.d222a0f787b44ae7c6e07d11ff725f21.jpeg

........but then I’m biased. :-)

Iain

Edited by iain

Deggars I too run Snow tracks in the Winter, this period shot shows Town and Country’s I think? Just the ticket for a blast around the 1950’s French Alps on  a Monte Recce, Nov 57.

image.jpeg.4ecdff624c5e8c0dd8a32d7268dfa118.jpeg

More detail perhaps on this shot courtesy of Motor Graphs. (Ken R with Annie Soisbault.)

Iain

1 hour ago, iain said:

Deggars I too run Snow tracks in the Winter, this period shot shows Town and Country’s I think? Just the ticket for a blast around the 1950’s French Alps on  a Monte Recce, Nov 57.

image.jpeg.4ecdff624c5e8c0dd8a32d7268dfa118.jpeg

More detail perhaps on this shot courtesy of Motor Graphs. (Ken R with Annie Soisbault.)

Iain

Could be Firestone Town & Country, but I think more likely to be Dunlop Weathermasters given the factory link with Dunlop.

Ralph.

4 hours ago, iain said:

. . . this period shot shows Town and Country’s I think? Just the ticket for a blast around the 1950’s French Alps on  a Monte Recce, Nov 57.

Great shot, Iain.  Thanks. (I see they've got a pair of defrosters stuck to the windscreen. Common on the Monte, but rare as hen's teeth now I'd imagine)

Incidentally, browsing through a few old tyre adverts this evening, I clocked this familiar looking TR profile (top centre).

1999254007_TC.jpg.d1f64b1e86658249200a1db7eae96f1c.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers

I think Ralph is correct. 1957 advertisement below.

image.jpeg.8f0e93419cf87961ddb364eeb21fc86b.jpeg

These do look like a better match for the tread pattern.

Apologies to David for the thread drift:-)

Iain

Edited by iain

If youve ever driven on Town and Countrys you`ll know how uncomfortable they are and also if I remember rightly they were speed limited to something like 60MPH as well.

Back in about 62 my Dads then employer had a Rover 105 with them on the back and he kept complaining to the main agents about vibration and they stripped most of the drive train out before they realised it was the tyres!

Stuart.

On 2/11/2021 at 7:11 AM, iain said:

I think Ralph is correct. 1957 advertisement below.

image.jpeg.8f0e93419cf87961ddb364eeb21fc86b.jpeg

These do look like a better match for the tread pattern.

Apologies to David for the thread drift:-)

Iain

The three blokes are thinking " Now we have made this bloody great big tyre what are we going to do with it?"

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker