Alloy wheels Tr3

I am in the process of buying some "D Type" style wheels (the Dunlop ones).  Now i may have dreamt it (or had a wine too many) but i think  i saw a picture on the register of a red Tr3 with same wheels.  I tried a quick search but couldnt find it

Any prompts appreciated! 

Edited by Davidm793
Corrected spelling of red :)
5 minutes ago, iain said:

No you didn’t dream it it’s Fireman Toms. 
Where are you Tom, we need to see those lovely wheels? 
Iain

+1 for Tom’s Wheels (M type Dunlop’s I think ??)

10 hours ago, Davidm793 said:

I am in the process of buying some "D Type" style wheels (the Dunlop ones).  Now i may have dreamt it (or had a wine too many) but i think  i saw a picture on the register of a red Tr3 with same wheels.  I tried a quick search but couldnt find it

Any prompts appreciated! 

I know the type you mean. Are they alloy or steel. I thought they were just steels with knock off centres for quick changes but I could be wrong. Either way they are a smart wheel.

Ralph

33 minutes ago, Malcolm Tatton said:

They are alloy, thought I'd got a link to Realm Engineering who produce them but it doesn't seem to work

realmengineering.com/d-style-wheels/

https://realmengineering.com/d-style-wheels/

Realm look excellent.  I have already placed order with Frontline Engineering (the mg recreations) who also supply the wheels.

i chose 5.5 width although Realm also offer 5" too

took a long time to decide on style of alloy, but that style suits the tr3 well

Perfect.  Thank you for that.  Think I made the right choice :)  Tom’s car looks good in red!

And will now read the thread and discussion on spare tyre sizes and how 165 won’t fit under the boot floor unless deflated :) 

34 minutes ago, Davidm793 said:

Perfect.  Thank you for that.  Think I made the right choice :)  Tom’s car looks good in red!

And will now read the thread and discussion on spare tyre sizes and how 165 won’t fit under the boot floor unless deflated :) 

Hi David,

the non-fitting 165 tyres has been spoken about many times. I think the slot was designed for an inflated 155.

Roger

Nooooooo! Sacrilege of the first order. I use a slightly soft 165 as a spare with a electric tyre pump in the depression of the wheel. Keep resisting Andrew :-)

Iain

I spotted the pictures on Frontline, and emailed to see if they sell wheels separately.  They do, and i should dig through the email, but I think 400 each.  Will confirm when i get final price this week.  They manufacture the wheels in-house.

Not cheap but looked the part.   Once fitted, will also share pictures on here too. 

On 1/25/2021 at 9:10 PM, Davidm793 said:

Any prompts appreciated! 

Are you going for bolt on, or are you buying the very expensive splined adapters too for knock ons.

Ralph

11 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Are you going for bolt on, or are you buying the very expensive splined adapters too for knock ons.

Ralph

Currently have knock on painted wires and will replace hub adaptors/splines so new wheels/splines.  From MWS i think they are around £30 each

11 hours ago, Nigel C said:

that's great, thank. do you know the weight by any chance as I've worked on the Jag's (D & C's) and they're heavy IMHO as they are really thick ali?

Ah, no i didnt get weights (naively assumed light :). ) but will weigh when they arrive.  Will post before and after pictures once fitted too.  My wife prefers the wires, but she will warm to alloys :)

Don’t worry about the weights of replacement wheels, it will make no difference. These cars are too heavy for unladen weight savings of 5 or 10 kilos a wheel to make the driving experience vary.

Mick Richards

21 hours ago, Nigel C said:

can't find them on the frontline site? (wanted to scar myself on price)  I know they were originally 16" on the jags< i'm taking it they have remodeled them to 15's?

See attached pdf for pricing

dunlop_prices.pdf

• 2 weeks later...