Alternative Seats for TR2

13 hours ago, DesNoble said:

Yes the carpets are all in and so too are the seatbelts, and yes they were tight but as I mentioned I eased the prop shaft tunnel to give them more room also I cut the underlay and glued the carpet to the tunnel. On the outside I made sure the trim was secured tight against the rear quarter. It works well, was a shoehorn job working in millimetres but I think it works well.

Des. 

Des don't know if you did this on your seats but I actually cut the seat belt mounting bracket off the seats as well, this gave me more wiggle room, it did leave a bare spot thats not trimmed visible on the side of the seat but it gets covered by the transmission tunnel when fitted so you can't see it. 

Yes I cut the seatbelt mounting off but I cut it right back at the runner so I doesn't show, see attached photo. The seat belts were a real act of smoke and mirrors as there was only mm to spare. Points to note, I used the long centre fixing point. The floor mounting should be three or four inches forward of the "B" post according to the seatbelt manufacturer sand I placed my inertia reals above the rear seat, originally I was going to try and place them below but it just didn't seem worthwhile.

The picture of the centre mounting shows the slight pinching of the prop tunnel. Actually it's not as noticeable as this in real life.

Des.

TR seatbelt cut off.JPG

TR seatbelt Centre buckle.JPG

TR seatbelt floor attachment.jpeg

TR seatbelt inertia.JPG

29 minutes ago, DesNoble said:

Yes I cut the seatbelt mounting off but I cut it right back at the runner so I doesn't show, see attached photo. The seat belts were a real act of smoke and mirrors as there was only mm to spare. Points to note, I used the long centre fixing point. The floor mounting should be three or four inches forward of the "B" post according to the seatbelt manufacturer sand I placed my inertia reals above the rear seat, originally I was going to try and place them below but it just didn't seem worthwhile.

The picture of the centre mounting shows the slight pinching of the prop tunnel. Actually it's not as noticeable as this in real life.

Des.

TR seatbelt cut off.JPG

TR seatbelt Centre buckle.JPG

TR seatbelt floor attachment.jpeg

TR seatbelt inertia.JPG

Very, very nice. I do like those. 

Neil

• 5 months later...

Ian Vincent has very kindly been helping me with the MX5 Mk2solution.  I was wondering if anyone else has pictures of the way they mounted the seats?

Did you bolt the MX5 runners directly to the floor or did you use a bracket to fit the existing bolt holes?

You have to either buy brackets or make them yourself. I copied the brackets from a previous posting with a few alterations and they worked very well. I've copied their photos, "I hope they don't mind", for info.  Make sure the front can be raised as the seats are inclined quite a bit.

Des.

TR MX5 seat conversion 7.png

TR MX5 seat conversion 6.png

TR MX5 seat conversion 5.png

TR MX5 seat conversion 4.png

TR MX5 seat conversion 3.jpg

TR MX5 seat conversion 2 .jpg

TR MX5 seat conversion 1.jpg

3 hours ago, DesNoble said:

You have to either buy brackets or make them yourself. I copied the brackets from a previous posting with a few alterations and they worked very well. I've copied their photos, "I hope they don't mind", for info.  Make sure the front can be raised as the seats are inclined quite a bit.

Des.

TR MX5 seat conversion 7.png

TR MX5 seat conversion 6.png

TR MX5 seat conversion 5.png

TR MX5 seat conversion 4.png

TR MX5 seat conversion 3.jpg

TR MX5 seat conversion 2 .jpg

TR MX5 seat conversion 1.jpg

That's terrific.  Thank you very much.

By the way, don't take the measurements as correct for your car, and all the brackets don't have to be exactly the same as these shapes. You'll see why when you try your own seats as you may have to work around mounting bolts for the body etc. Also the dimensions for the front runner mounts should be measured from your seats.

I also when you bolt your brackets to the floor I added a second small nut and bolt so that the bracket was positively located. I also used the original TR locating captive nuts  .

Des.

On 7/21/2021 at 4:54 AM, DesNoble said:

By the way, don't take the measurements as correct for your car, and all the brackets don't have to be exactly the same as these shapes. You'll see why when you try your own seats as you may have to work around mounting bolts for the body etc. Also the dimensions for the front runner mounts should be measured from your seats.

I also when you bolt your brackets to the floor I added a second small nut and bolt so that the bracket was positively located. I also used the original TR locating captive nuts  .

Des.

Thank you Des. 

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

Those are great looking seats nice job. Good luck with fitting them into your TR. They'll fit but you've got to squeeze every mm out of the body. I pinched the prop shaft tunnel to get more room. Also if you fit seatbelts I used a 30cm stalk. on the other side the floor mountings bolts to the floor about 21/2 - 3" in front of the seat back, it should say so on the directions, but fitting the bolt again is very tight and has to be done in the right order.

Look forward to seeing the final result.

29 minutes ago, Adrian Fuller said:

Hi 

Are the mx5 seats out of mk 1/2 and does anybody have comtact details for Paul Bishop. 

Many thanks

Adrian

Adrian - have just PMed you Paul's contact details

Cheers Rich

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 11:47 AM, Graham said:

Ian would suggest that if your UK based the weather AND lockdown means the TR won't be getting a lot (any) use,  hopefully by the summer we will all be back at Malvern enjoying a (socially distanced!) Triumph Weekend, so I would pencil it in then hover around the 2/3 parking area and have a look at who has fitted what and then try and 'blag' a 'sit in' to see what suits you best. 

I did and was sold on the comfort of the pair with removable headrests.   So much so I just ordered a pair for refurbishing.

More when completed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now tried a pair of MX5 seats with detachable head tests in my car and can not get them far enough back for my long legs.  Drat!    As they are so comfy.  The same style as the cream ones pictured in this thread.

So does any one want a pair of dark/black  fabric covered seats with detachable head rests and seat runners.?  Detachable headrests means you can get the tonneau on without having pockets sewn into it.

They are in excellent order with no foam damage that so often happens to the seat corners.  These could go straight in a dark colour trim car as the covers are not tatty.

The seats can be collected from Pinner with the runners and head rests for the price  I paid.  £ 65.00. The Pair.

Please PM if interested before I ebay them.

I will photo if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I have now tried a pair of MX5 seats with detachable head tests in my car and can not get them far enough back for my long legs.  Drat!    As they are so comfy.  The same style as the cream ones pictured in this thread.

So does any one want a pair of dark/black  fabric covered seats with detachable head rests and seat runners.?  Detachable headrests means you can get the tonneau on without having pockets sewn into it.

They are in excellent order with no foam damage that so often happens to the seat corners.  These could go straight in a dark colour trim car as the covers are not tatty.

The seats can be collected from Pinner with the runners and head rests for the price  I paid.  £ 65.00. The Pair.

Please PM if interested before I ebay them.

I will photo if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Peter W

D90447A4-9731-4929-9B28-10AB616F747E.jpeg

6279009D-AEF9-43B8-8515-7B2DCC4C4F9F.jpeg

A6A21947-236E-4E4C-9929-45B6D795DD85.jpeg

32 minutes ago, DesNoble said:

Hard luck Peter. Did they foul the rear seat or the wheel arch, just curious.

Des. 

Both

I took the legless midget shelf out and still too little rearward movement for my long legs.

Suggestion has been to take a lump hammer to the arches…….

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
33 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Both

I took the legless midget shelf out and still too little rearward movement for my long legs.

Suggestion has been to take a lump hammer to the arches…….

I seem to remember one of our US friends did exactly that when restoring his car, he had a pair of scallops made into the lower section of the wheel arches to give him more legroom.

Stuart.

19 hours ago, stuart said:

I seem to remember one of our US friends did exactly that when restoring his car, he had a pair of scallops made into the lower section of the wheel arches to give him more legroom.

Stuart.

If it’s just a case of getting the seat back as far as it will go, it’s easier and less obtrusive to ease the prop shaft tunnel with a lump hammer and a bit of wood. It only needs to be moved by about 1/2”.

Rgds Ian 

I had the opposite problem with the Racetorations seats I purchased.  I could not get them forward enough.

There was hardly any for or aft movement at all when 1st fitted.

I had to resort to lump hammer, & padding on the sides of the gearbox cover to get any clearance on the front part of the seats.

Not noticable with carpet on, & they now can accomodate drivers with long or short legs !

Bob

3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

If it’s just a case of getting the seat back as far as it will go, it’s easier and less obtrusive to ease the prop shaft tunnel with a lump hammer and a bit of wood. It only needs to be moved by about 1/2”.

Rgds Ian 

Depends on the seat, my MX seats in my 4a contact the wheel arch before anything else, I fail to see how altering the tunnel clearance would help as the seats are roughly parallel to it.

Stuart.

1 minute ago, stuart said:

Depends on the seat, my MX seats in my 4a contact the wheel arch before anything else, I fail to see how altering the tunnel clearance would help as the seats are roughly parallel to it.

Stuart.

Mine were squeezed between the tunnel and the inner 3/4 panel before the back hit the parcel shelf (post 60k car). 

Rgds Ian

10 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

Mine were squeezed between the tunnel and the inner 3/4 panel before the back hit the parcel shelf (post 60k car). 

Rgds Ian

Ah yes thats why I cant fit in a post 60k car.

Stuart.