Door Handle Recommendations

12 minutes ago, Lee Dutton said:

The door handles on my 664a are pitted and really beyond repair, I am considering Moss replacements about £160 a pair

But before I do , has anyone any experience of these or are there any other choices.

Best regards to all Lee

You should be able to get them re-chromed for that.

Stuart.

Hi Lee,

from the pic on the Moss WebCat they are worse then useless. I think they are off a Bedford TRuck

They do not have the little lever on the back of the lock that activates the internal door lock.

They also have a spigot where a screw should go.

Get yours re-chromed.  However speak to the metal finisher and ensure that all the holes etc are protected. Otherwise the plunger may not fit afterwards.

Roger

I read somewhere that the “new” handles have the fixing stud, that is adjacent to the push button, in the wrong place and the door skin has to be drilled to form a fixing hole.

Graham

9 hours ago, Grahamgl said:

I read somewhere that the “new” handles have the fixing stud, that is adjacent to the push button, in the wrong place and the door skin has to be drilled to form a fixing hole.

Graham

Hi Graham,

there are normally two fixing screws on the handle. That stud is extra and not required. That handle is not for our cars. 

As mentioned above it also does not have the internal door lock lever.

They could be made to work properly but would take time and effort.  Something the suppliers are not always interested in.

Roger

I managed to get one new one on Ebay from America two years ago- it was bought for me by a family member and brought over when they came to visit. The other side I made up using quite a lot of engineering, swearing and deep though as to how to change the handing of a good outer casing to fit. Quite a task involving drilling and tapping but got there in the end. A good start is to have a few spare handles from which to use parts as they are handed- and very fiddly.

If you have your own outers and buttons chrome plated be careful that the buttons don't get polished too much by the plater, as they get loose and the keyway on the button  gets worn away- learned that long ago.

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just jumping on the back of this, I've had my Handles away for chrome plating, and I'm now re assembling them. There are 2 small Csk screws that hold the backplate on, pic attached, anyone know what size these are? The tapped holes in the Handle have got some crud in them, I've cleaned out the worst, but the screw is still very tight, so could do to run a tap down. The screw measures 0.107 inches dia, so puts it close to 6BA. Is this likely?

My TPI thread gauge only goes down to 28, but on the other side, which I guess is metric, a 0.5mm  looks to be very close. which brings me back to 6BA which has a pitch of 0.0209. What do we think? Thanks.

Ian

IMG_4205.jpeg

UNC - Unified Coarse Thread

Major Diameter  (in)    Threads per inch         Major Diameter        Tap Drill Size        Pitch   

#1 - 64                              64                    0.073"  1.854mm           1.50mm          0.397mm

#2 - 56                              56                     0.086"  2.184mm           1.80mm          0.453mm

#3 - 48                             48                      0.099"  2.515mm           2.100mm       0.529mm

#4 - 40                             40                      0.112"   2.845mm           2.350mm      0.635mm

Could be 3-48 UNC ?

Bob

2 hours ago, meesonia said:

Hi

Just jumping on the back of this, I've had my Handles away for chrome plating, and I'm now re assembling them. There are 2 small Csk screws that hold the backplate on, pic attached, anyone know what size these are? The tapped holes in the Handle have got some crud in them, I've cleaned out the worst, but the screw is still very tight, so could do to run a tap down. The screw measures 0.107 inches dia, so puts it close to 6BA. Is this likely?

My TPI thread gauge only goes down to 28, but on the other side, which I guess is metric, a 0.5mm  looks to be very close. which brings me back to 6BA which has a pitch of 0.0209. What do we think? Thanks.

Ian

Most of the typical small screws are much bigger than your measured 0.107" So gently run a 6BA tap down the holes.

But firstly- hold the 6BA tap against the screw to compare the threads

Roger

Thanks Roger / Bob, I've ordered both taps, a 3-48UNC & a 6BA, cheap enough on the bay for what I need. I'll let you know.

Cheers

Ian

Hi

It's 6BA guys, the tap arrived yesterday, the UNC one is still to come. But 6BA was a good fit with the screw thread, even with my poor "mince pies" so with careful introduction to the hole it went down a treat, and the screws now go in perfect.

Ian

39 minutes ago, meesonia said:

Hi

It's 6BA guys, the tap arrived yesterday, the UNC one is still to come. But 6BA was a good fit with the screw thread, even with my poor "mince pies" so with careful introduction to the hole it went down a treat, and the screws now go in perfect.

Ian

In model engineering circles (and I haven't a clue why) 6BA is referred to as the 'perfect thread' form. Something to do with diameter/pitch/tpi etc etc.

It is a very scientifically (more so mathematically) designed thread form.

Roger