TR touring plan

Myself and about a dozen other TR's toured the south west corner of Ireland back in 2002.

It was a seriously lovely place to be. One of our cars had a damaged dynamo and we had to find an auto-electrician.                                                                     There was one in the village that we were staying at for a couple of days.

The chap with his dynamo and me (the taxi) turned up at the electricians house (at about 4pm)   and found him upside down inside a massive generator.        When he untangled himself he looked at the dynamo and the problem and said it would be sorted by 6pm. Great says I. But not necessarily today says he  (with a wink in his eye)  At 6pm it was done and he charged 2 Euros. 

We popped into Skibbereen  and found a pub with a descendant from the Armada serving behind the bar. The songs were disgusting, but I had to join in:).

We were then locked in for 'afters'. Sue and a few others were getting very nervous (singing  and drinking in what would appear to be an IRA nest).

As we were camping nearby I just carried on drinking and singing. The Armada bar tender then started parading up and down behind the bar with a broom over his shoulder - at least it wouldn't go off.  Absolutely brilliant. Sue was having kittens.

Enjoy Ireland

Roger 

Experienced something very similar on a Saturday night in an Irish pub on the Kilburn High Road at the height of 'the Troubles'. Only difference was that there was an Irish band playing and I was the only non-Celt in the place.

As the donations box came round 'for the boys behind the barricades" I slipped off to the loo. I was followed in by two burly, slightly drunk chaps. "We know why you're here" one of them announced. Scanning the loo there was no way out but past these two. As I was there with an Irish friend for a night out (but fearing they thought I was some sort of army/police stooge) I explained that I had no idea what they meant. They persisted, assuring me in increasing robust tones that they knew why is was there. It was getting quite tense now when one of them said, "Its the band, isn't it" followed by "You're one of them record company boyos aren't you". I wasn't but I was pretty relieved as the frightening prospect of a bit of rough stuff rapidly receded.

Sensing a way out I reluctantly confirmed that I was a record company spotter and congratulated them on being a couple of sharp chaps. They were very pleased with themselves and it turned out one was an uncle of a band member. So I swore them to secrecy and were all returned to the bar as best friends. For the rest of the lock-in we exchanged conspiratorial nods and winks as the band played on. Still, I was pretty relieved when I finally left the place at about 1:00am...

Miles

14 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Experienced something very similar on a Saturday night in an Irish pub on the Kilburn High Road at the height of 'the Troubles'. Only difference was that there was an Irish band playing and I was the only non-Celt in the place.

As the donations box came round 'for the boys behind the barricades" I slipped off to the loo. I was followed in by two burly, slightly drunk chaps. "We know why you're here" one of them announced. Scanning the loo there was no way out but past these two. As I was there with an Irish friend for a night out (but fearing they thought I was some sort of army/police stooge) I explained that I had no idea what they meant. They persisted, assuring me in increasing robust tones that they knew why is was there. It was getting quite tense now when one of them said, "Its the band, isn't it" followed by "You're one of them record company boyos aren't you". I wasn't but I was pretty relieved as the frightening prospect of a bit of rough stuff rapidly receded.

Sensing a way out I reluctantly confirmed that I was a record company spotter and congratulated them on being a couple of sharp chaps. They were very pleased with themselves and it turned out one was an uncle of a band member. So I swore them to secrecy and were all returned to the bar as best friends. For the rest of the lock-in we exchanged conspiratorial nods and winks as the band played on. Still, I was pretty relieved when I finally left the place at about 1:00am...

Miles

Excellent !!!:D

4 hours ago, joestr6 said:

Hi Pete

I am a member of the Triumph Classic Owners Club based in Dublin.  We have about 60 members some of which are also members of the Register.  I will send you my mobile by pm and feel free to contact me if you decide to come over.  We may be able to arrange a run over the Dublin mountains if you make it to Dublin.  Certainly if you have a problem while over here just contact me and we will get you going.  There are lots of spares sitting on shelves over here and willing to lend them to you if required.

Joe

isn't this forum WONDERFUL

On 1/24/2021 at 3:39 PM, Bfg said:

A few years ago, I read in a magazine of a fabulous motorcycling route along the north-eastern coast.  So I'd particularly like to visit Ireland in an open-top Triumph.  I've never been to Ireland, so don't know whether a low slung 1960's sports-car like a TR is still appropriate.?  Otherwise I might only imagine that off-the-beaten track rural Ireland is rather like Cornwall ?  Surely the Emerald Isle has many places worth going-well-out-of-the-way to visit.   

As Pete is considering a visit to Ireland a few of us (Triumph Classic Owners Club - Ireland) guys are getting ready for the 'Annual Pilgrimage to the IWE', so if you are at the IWE as the saying goes - see you there

Bren Fitz

1 hour ago, MilesA said:

Miles

Hi Miles,

who were the band,

Are they famous now. 

Can I have your autograph

Roger

Roger

After an evening drinking of pints of Guinness until the early hours I had no idea then or now who the band were and whether they became famous.

Happy to bring a few signed photos to the Forum meet at Malvern though!

Miles

1 hour ago, B Fitzpatrick said:

As Pete is considering a visit to Ireland a few of us (Triumph Classic Owners Club - Ireland) guys are getting ready for the 'Annual Pilgrimage to the IWE', so if you are at the IWE as the saying goes - see you there

Bren Fitz

Bren, wonderful! I'm in Cork. Great to hear ye all support IWE. I hope to next year. Still playing it safe at the moment.

Best,

David

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 11:59 AM, john.r.davies said:

While I'm here, I'll recommend driving the Hartside Pass, the A686 from Penrith to Haydon Bridge.     The rise up the escarpment of the Pennines is a wonderful curving, looping drive, well known to bikers, so watch out!   If you base yourself in Penrith, the drive back can be along Hadrian's Wall via, for variety, the largely dead straight B6318.     The Roman garrison at Vindolanda, and the Roman Army Museum at Greenhead are worth getting out for, and will interest old and young.

John

Just watch on the wall road you don't get too enthusiastic, as there is a real chance of grounding in the hollows !