Duty Payable on Goods from EU

In the news at the moment, however, the bit I cannot find is for goods purchased and paid for in 2020 but not delivered until 2021, I have asked the seller who says, 

'We confirm you as you already paid VAT on our website and as you place order in 2020, you will not have to pay additional taxes.

Only order placed from 1st january are concerned.'

I have searched online for confirmation/information with no luck and I am suspicious that my European friend is being overly optimistic, 

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by AndrewMAshton

Someone on another forum asked the same question. Here apparently are the rules that cover purchases that span the transition end date:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/value-added-tax-eu-exit-transitional-provisions

Best of luck with that!

Nigel

Thanks for the information, I did read it and tried to make sense of it, of course the catch 22 'those goods could be subject to both acquisition VAT and import VAT.'  'Those goods' being ones bought and paid for before the end of 2020but delivered in 2021.  I am not a business and it appears there is some responsibility on the transport company to collect dues, whether correct or not, leaving it up to the individual to claim back monies paid.  That is my understanding so a no brainer, hopefully it will sort itself out into something a bit clearer in the future, ie website will calculate total cost so no surprises, cheers, Andrew