The final leg of his journey

Albeit a powerful post but thought I should share it with the community. 

Last Sunday, after a few weeks of being upset and annoyed at all the restrictions regarding funerals and covid, I decided that my Dad wasn't going to bow out in a restricted fashion and I knew I had to do something special for him. So I decided I was going to follow him on his final journey in his beloved car. Now this wasn't his only TR (he's owned a few, 3s, 5s, 6s & even a 7) but this one he's had for many years. It was sat in our garage at the house I grew up in, It spent many a year in his old business partners mothers garage, a few years in a storage unit, It even did a few years in my workshop I had and now at my mum and dads garage at home. So it holds lots of memories for me, my family and his friends.

As the car hadn't been driven since on its way home from its last MoT back in August in 2016, I knew I had a bit of a challenge on my hands, but I knew it would help me mentally and give me something to do rather than dwell on the coming event.  I spent all last week going to my mums after work to resurrect the car and get her ready to grace her owner for one last time.

I had to drain all thei fuel as it had lost its bang, Clean out the filter bowl, fresh fuel (absolutely hate this new Ethanol blended fuel, It doesn't even smell like proper fuel) in the tank and fit a new battery. I finally got it running be it quite lumpy. Checked the clutch and the pedal came up but the same couldn't be said about the brakes.... the master cylinder was seized. So after a strip and field service I got it back. It looked like the water in the system had created some crud etc in the cylinder so the piston got stuck and seized the brakes on.

Sorted the electrical snags that were a result of being lay up and that left me to Thursday Evening, the night before the funeral.

So that left me to the morning of his funeral to give the car a road test! (nothing like cutting it fine)   Well that didn't go great, it sounded and felt like it was running on 3, after a quick look over from one of his old pals that called he spotted that 2&3 leads were the wrong way around (sometimes its the simple things we overlook) It was fixed. So after a few runs up the street to check if it stops as well as it goes  I ventured to the petrol station to put some more fuel in. This time joined by my eldest Son, He was quite pleased to join me on his first run out in the TR and he said it felt a bit strange all the people that look at you when your in something that you just don't see every day. After filling up I took the car back to my mums to give it a quick clean ready to do probably the most important trip both me and the car will ever make.

Joined by my older brother we followed the hurst past both of his old houses, One where I grew up (and the car lived for so many years) and the house my Dad grew up in.

It was really good to see some of his old pals faces when they seen his old car joining him on his last drive. My Mum was made up, She said that when I told her of my plans she wasn't very confident because of how long the car had been laid up. But even storm Christoph held off for the day (as Im writing this I'm looking out of my window at the snow that's covered my street) 

That week taught me a few good skills and made me "cut my teeth" with the car, and now I feel we have a real bond. My dad would have been proud of me managing what many would have not been possible to achieve. As I'm now an owner of a TR car I'm sure I will probably talk to quite a few of you and hopefully in the not so distant future be able to introduce you to my dads car.

RiP Dad.

Alex.

final ride.jpg

Edited by Big Alex B TR3a

A nice story Alex, thank you for sharing it with us. It was a fitting tribute to your dad. I hope you keep the car for many years and remember him every time you use it.

Mick

Well done Alex that is a memory you can be proud you created. A fitting tribute. 
I hope you can keep the car as it will keep your dad close to you always 

whether you are driving it or tinkering .

Bring your mum into your bubble and give her a big hug. 

she has known him longer that you have !!

well done that man .

H

Great Story Alex and great thoughts.

You did him proud and yourself for that matter.

Enjoy the TR for many years.

Regards, 

Conrad.

Thanks for the kind words. 

To answer a few, It most definitely would NEVER be sold. I couldn't bring myself to sell something thetas been in my family for so long. Cars like that need to be driven, shown off and enjoyed by everyone. 

Photo is my brother and me returning after the service.

Alex.

Me and Our Kid.jpg

That's excellent Alex, condolences in the circumstance but respect in your honouring your father through his enthusiasm for such a great fun car. I'm sure your family are really proud of you, most of all your Mum. 

Hope you not only keep the car, but also really come to enjoy the car too. 

Best regards, Pete.

• 6 months later...

Months and months later, another sTRanger reads your touching story.

Your dad had style: yes, I see he replaced the wiper blades with 1960s spring-loaded ones! 

Best wishes,

David