What is "time" ?

If you look under my avatar you'll see I am interested in "UFO science".  It is a rether recent interest , not because I am a dedicated ufo researcher but because the phenomena might throw light upon what "time" is. In physics taught to undergrads  time does not flow. It is locked with space as Eistein and Minkovski showed 100 years ago. The uposhot of their work is the exact date you finisn rebuiding that rusty TR is already determined, or the exact time that IRS hub fails is also determined. If there is enough interest I'll attempt to explain.....ten 'like thumbs up' will suffice.  Peter

Roger has long told us, time is a drug!

But time is relative, an hour talking to a pretty woman seems like a minute, but a minute sitting on hot stove seems like an hour!   (Einstein, A.)

2 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

Peter,

Does pre-destiny exist, and if so how can an experiment ever be carried out to test the theory, as the results of the test will be pre-ordained thus proving nothing?

Alan

Alan, We shall cover the well estabkished theory derived from Einstein that every past and future times are real, and hence we have no  free will. Intuitively soemthing is wrong, but Einstein's theories have been shown to be true by measurement. How that conundrum might be  resolved - by measurement - is where this thread will lead us. Peter

OK, here we go. I shall use links to youtubes by real physicists who are expert communicators, and short articles. But no wikipedias as they are writeeen by real physisicst for real physicists and are unintelligible to us. The general direction will embrace

Einstein relativity, space-time and the block universe

Physics arguments that passage of time is not real

How fast does time flow?

High  strangeness events that hint at time flowing faster and slower than 1sec/sec

Current Theoroetical physics hypotheses that time is not fundamental, a second form of time etc

Tests of aberrant time

Implications..........dark matter, "aliens"...............

===

This could take some time !!

Peter

Brian Greene is an expert communicator of physics and all his youtbes are worth watching.

We begin with a loaf of bread representing the "space-time continuum" and we see the problem:

When we have assimmilated that we'll look into Einstein the baker -why the loaf is proposed.

20 minutes ago, stillp said:

What is Time? Ten minutes after Last Orders isn't it?

Pete

Who's "after" ?  If I fly away and back from your pub (at great speed) I can arrive back before you have bought me that pint at Happy hour. That's time dilation of relativity. My 'now' is not the same as your's when our relative speeds are great. Same for After  Peter

Homework for rhe weekend to mull over thru next week. Brian Greene again.

Relativity is far from intuitive. You would expect a beam oflight to leave your headlights at the speed of light plus whatever mph you have on the speedo. But NO. Also if I drive my TR really really fast I can drive into your past, but not mine. Here's why, step by  step:

If we are considering time, relativity and the quantum state of existence, then  we should the recall the hot buttered cat experiment.

As any fule kno, a cat always lands on its feet, but equally hot toast lands buttered side down.

Strap a slice to the back of a cat, and drop it, from a reasonable height.

Lo!  the two effects cancel out and the animal is left in a quantum state as reality cannot collapse either function, and it hovers in mid air, defying gravity and Newton!

3 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

If we are considering time, relativity and the quantum state of existence, then  we should the recall the hot buttered cat experiment.

As any fule kno, a cat always lands on its feet, but equally hot toast lands buttered side down.

Lo!  the two effects cancel out and the animal is left in a quantum state as reality cannot collapse either function, and it hovers in mid air, defying gravity and Newton!

So  what your saying is ....if I strap toast to a cat ....throw it out a window ....it will float in air ?

I’ll give it a go .......Buffy !!!!!

ps

i time travel a theoretical possibility ???

20 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

One answer Worm holes.

Stuart.

34 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Surely it will spin, generating perpetual motion.

Pete

48 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Yeah but what would happen if you did the cat-and-buttered-toast thing in a largish box without looking inside?

1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

So  what your saying is ....if I strap toast to a cat ....throw it out a window ....it will float in air ?

I’ll give it a go .......Buffy !!!!!

ps

iif the blbok universe concept is real - that loaf of bread - then all past and future evets are real, actually there but not accessible to us except for exotic concepts like Stuart's wormholles. Most physicisits are taught the block universe as being correct science 'caus it is a direct conclusion from Relatiivity. The big question is : is it corect? is the block universe cocncept of space time valid ? The implicatio of saying yes it is , is that our entiire future is mapped out, we have no free will. Physicists seem to be able to ignore that aboolition of free will while accepting the BU, because it works. No-one has yet refuted Rellativity and is unlkely to do so. What we willl explore over the next few weeks is the basis  in Relativiity of the Block Universe, and new concpts of time that get around the block universe conundrum.

===

I should explain that each slice of that loaf is the 3D universe that has lsot one dimension. Each slice is the universe at a new instant of time, It is a way of visualsing 3 dimensions of space and one of time together: the "space-time continuum"

Peter

3 hours ago, stillp said:

My 'ed 'urts.

Pete

Stick wiith it Pete, this stuff is 100 years old, it;s not impossibly difficult, just seriously counter-intuitive

Peter

4 minutes ago, stuart said:

Isnt there supposed to be the concept of Multiverses?

Stuart.

Yes, in  theory. It is  one of many proposed solutions to "wave function collapse" in quantum mechanics. I promise not to go there.

Time can be tackled without Qunatum Mechanics, until we come across "entanglement" late in the thread. Entanglement or "spooky action at a distance" is  truly   fasciantinf, and proven to happen. It is not explained by Relativty but is central to understnanding "time".  But first we have to get to grips with  Relativty, only then will we be able to see the   sppokiness.

Peter