Transparent TR3 picture

That looks like Earls Court judging by the other signs hanging from the roof, but I wonder, as it is a left hand drive car, whether it then got shipped out to the US and may have ended up over there doing the circuit of the dealers.

Ralph.

On 1/21/2021 at 9:20 PM, Hamish said:

I saw this on eBay and not seen it before. 

Nice find H. Hadn't seen that before either.

Quick coffee and a Google later however . . .

"Oct. 07, 1956 - New Triumph T.R.3. on display at Earls court. Sports Car fitted with disc brakes. Centre of attraction at the International Motor Show, opened at Earls Court by the Prime Minister this morning, is the new Triumph T.R.3. Sports car, now fitted with the much talked of disc brakes. Admiring the car, which has been fitted with a special transparent body for display purposes, is lovely model Shirley Ann fields."

1200208811_PersTRa.jpg.818a844d187ec3d5fe975a0a74f0bfc4.jpg

155185615_PersTRb.thumb.jpg.2eb5bc92afae0a194f323aa280336b67.jpg

177097637_PersTRc.thumb.jpg.aebf88ce81e4724c4bb6629c78871f01.jpg

Pathe News reported on the show too.

The TR isn't featured ... but still, I'd happily part with my hard earned for a Silver Cloud with "fitted radio telephone, and coffee machine". Ooh swish! :)

Cheers, Deggers

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Seems to be a lot of suitcases in that boot !

Bob.

And aren’t these a set golf clubs !!

32D49CEB-BF00-4193-91E2-A32024B1DC6A.jpeg

Great picture. I tried to find some more pics of the TR but failed. I did however find this of a Moggie thou at the same show. Perspex must have been busy that year, and obviously Morris didn`t have the same budget as Triumph.

transparent minor.jfif

Oooh, an early coupe. I had a slightly later one in yellow and white about 30 years ago.

Ralph

I've heard rumors, sotto voce, that the Perspex car (or part of it) still exists.  Anybody know anything they can talk about publicly?  

5 hours ago, Don H. said:

I've heard rumors, sotto voce, that the Perspex car (or part of it) still exists.  Anybody know anything they can talk about publicly?  

I would expect it to be all yellowed and crazed by now but it would be a great exhibit for a museum.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 1:49 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

I would expect it to be all yellowed and crazed by now but it would be a great exhibit for a museum.

Ralph

Not necessarily.  Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA, Perspex, Lucite, Plexiglas...) is a very stable plastic.  Extremely good UV resistance and remarkably low water absorption.  If the transparent TR or parts of it exist, mechanical damage is more likely than weathering or aging.

• 2 months later...

Found the steering wheel and switch knobs

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/the-2021-tesla-model-s-steering-wheel-is-no-stranger-than-these-14-whacky-wheels/

1949 Delahaye 135M Cabriolet by Guilloré

04F9A24E-4189-4770-AE26-E7A11AFFE711.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT