Tracking and steer question.

Just started to track the front wheels now my wheels are painted and have tyres fitted. The pics are poor (No flash) but the wheels are in a 1/8" toe in position, but the track rod arms seem way to far OUT of the track rod ends, are there longer track rod ends available??the nuts are in the same position that they were when the old ends were removed and scrapped.

Where am I going wrong here car was LHD, but the rack is from a RHD TR4.

P1080319.jpg

P1080316.jpg

P1080318.jpg

Edited by pfenlon

Can you set toe-in without the suspension fully weighted? I would imagine the geometry is not perfect ...i know my car exhibits some bump steer.  By the look of your suspension its in the extreme rebound 'poise'...i would guess that makes a big difference.

http://www.longacreracing.com/technical-articles.aspx?item=8162

Edited by ctc77965o
2 hours ago, ctc77965o said:

Can you set toe-in without the suspension fully weighted? I would imagine the geometry is not perfect ...i know my car exhibits some bump steer.  By the look of your suspension its in the extreme rebound 'poise'...i would guess that makes a big difference.

http://www.longacreracing.com/technical-articles.aspx?item=8162

Or message me with your e mail address and I'll send you my bump steer article on how to set your car up in your garage so that your toe in remains constant under suspension changes and eliminate your bump steer...sent to over 140 TR owners and counting, costs ?... about £1 for materials.

Mick Richards

With the car jacked the track rod arms are not horizontal but guide down,

this is a longer way and in this case they seem to be too short.

You can imagine the triangle? 

The car on its wheels the rod is the adjacent, the vertikal lenght down is zero. But

with the car jacked it become to be the longer hypotenuse?

Means: the toe in and out is also not always the same while you are driving and the suspension is in action.

A better construction would use  rods as long as possible. This changes the length of the hypotenuse relatively less.

I have already seen that at cars from the 40-ies, have to look for photos if wanted - or others do...

But this is "releativ" if the suspension has only little way to travel. 

Edited by Z320

You cant set the tracking without the car being fully laden and with suspension settled fully on the road for a bit first then it must be down on its wheels.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, SeidelVC69 said:

Are you sure you have a TR4 rack? You might have a TR4A-6 rack. The TR4A-6 rod arms are 1/2 inch shorter comparad to the earlier ones. Dieter

+1

Peter W

43 minutes ago, pfenlon said:

well with the car on its wheels the problem remains, rack is 39 1/2" long, suspect the rack now.

TR4 rack is 1023mm and TR4a is 1003mm.

Stuart

1 hour ago, pfenlon said:

well with the car on its wheels the problem remains, rack is 39 1/2" long, suspect the rack now.

At Cox & Buckles, Harberson Road in Balham I marked two felt tip pen marrks on the counter to check exchange steering racks against, so the customer got back the same length rack assembly as they had brought in for exchange.

I had been caught out once too often by this issue.

Peter W

20 minutes ago, Lebro said:

How come 4, & 4A racks are different lengths ? are the track rod ends different as well ?

Bob

When I fitted negative camber blocks to my TR4 I found that one TRE bottomed out before I got it tracked correctly. I sorted it out by centring the rack and steering wheel which gave me just, but only just, enough free play to get the tracking right. 
I guess that the IRS cars have a shorter rack to take account of the fact that they are running negative rather than the TR4s one degree positive camber. 

Edited by Drewmotty
2 hours ago, Lebro said:

How come 4, & 4A racks are different lengths ? are the track rod ends different as well ?

Bob

Steering levers changed and the rack mounting was moved.

Peter W

Dieter was on the money, the steer arms are different in length,  see pic.

It does tell you the difference in the Moss Book, had I but looked. Again TR Bitz 2018 came to the rescue with regards to parts, they do go the extra mile.

But with all the valuable advice read here on the subject I did find it odd that the toe "IN" remained the same with the car on axle stands, or on it wheels?

P1080324.JPG