CSI pro or 123 users

Hi Guys,

I have access to a CSI pro distributor that I am thinking of trialing  on my TR4,  has anyone on the forum got an adjustable 123 or CSI pro fitted to there car?   if so can you advise me of what modifications you have to the engine and provide the figures for the advance curve you currently have dialed in.      Figures for the Vaccume curve setting would also be interesting.  

cheers Jim.

Hi Jim

My approach when fitting my tune+ to my 6 was to measure the advance of the old distributor at 500 rpm intervals then set the tune+ up to the same values.

then i planned a rolling road session to refine, but haven’t got to that....

as it’s a pi 6 i dont use the vacuum

not much help for a 4, apologies!, but it has been totally reliable for several years.

also i found the app to work on apple but was rubbish on android

steve

Thanks steve for the reply, will be interesting to see who else  responds 

cheers 

I was quite an early adopter of the 123, having had one on my 4A since 2007. My engine is pretty standard and I chose curve 7 which worked out fine. 

Tim

Hi 

I have the CSI version set to curve 9 on my 4a running with 89mm pistons and liners and high torque cam Ive no rolling road data to give you however very pleased with both the running and performance as a package. I would recommend a fully electronic distributor over the original but thats only my opinion.

Chris 

I had a CSI and run it for 4 years or so on a standard TR3 engine. It ran on curve 12 without any issues - then it developed a problem, it appeared the automatic advance had packed in, wouldn't pull on any sort of power demand. Luckily, I still had the old Lucas dizzy which I had rebuilt by DD. Once installed, everything back to normal. Would never go back to an automatic, let alone CSI, nii response from them! Problem with auto's, once they go wrong there is nothing you can do.

Rob

+1

I like to keep it such that most things can be repaired at the roadside. My one concession is electronic ignition in the form of an Accuspark module

(other makes are available), fit & forget, but if it does go wrong I have a spare one in the glove box, which can be fitted in minutes, with no need to bugger about setting points gap.

Bob.

BTW just got my distributor back from Martin Jay (Distributor doctor) looking forward to trying out (when allowed to TRavel)

Here is a graph (generated by Ian Vincent) to which I have added the curve Martin recommended for my engine build. Click on it to enlarge.

1911324967_AdvanceCurvesComparison2.jpg.4fb69eea0865402adb4c3369535e3b0d.jpg

Bob.

Thanks for the responses so far 

I have to say that I believe in belt and braces and carry my old Lucas distributor and leads complete with condenser and adjusted points in the boot just in case. In fairness however the 123 has given not a moment's trouble in over 13 years and 70,000 miles.

Tim

I have the fully programmable 123 Bluetooth, bought direct from Holland.

My car has 89mm pistons and a racetorations 777 cam, the old distributor did not have a vacuum advance.

I am waiting to fit a pair of Weber’s and have a full rolling road set-up but lockdown is currently preventing this.

In the meantime I used a timing light to work out the advance on the old distributor at 500rpm increments and programmed these into the 123 via my iPad, I have been very impressed with the 123 and my Bluetooth version has the added benefit of an immobiliser that you can arm via your phone. 

Kindest regards

Mike