Gearbox Mainshaft Removal Help, Please.

I'm dismantelling my gearbox (to fit O/Drive and new main shaft) but cannot get my (old) mainshaft out.

Haynes manual helpfully says use soft mallet and tap main shaft into gearbox. This is to move it and cogs into gearbox so one can then push out the rear bearing rearwards - OK, understand that. One has to do this as rearmost cog will not allow bearing to come out as it is too big for bearing hole.

I cannot get the mainshaft to budge through the rear bearing inner race. Tap has led to a whack and I don't want to get the sledge hammer out. I've tried penetrating oil and heat but it will not budge (but bearing itself will move easily in its housing).

1.) Am I correct that this main shaft should move through bearing inner race? (I must be, surely.)

2.) Any tip or other way of getting the shaft out?

DSCN9676.JPG

Edited by Richard Pope

The layshaft or bottom shaft has to come out first, and let the gears into the bottom, then you can tap the rear bearing out, you have to hold the top shaft forward and get the bear off the shaft, hope that makes sense

John

1 hour ago, John L said:

The layshaft or bottom shaft has to come out first, and let the gears into the bottom, then you can tap the rear bearing out, you have to hold the top shaft forward and get the bear off the shaft, hope that makes sense

John

Actually not quite. Yes, the layshaft is out and teir gears are dropped to bottom so out of the way. You then tap the front bearing out, not the rear. You cannot get at the rear bearing to tap it out without first moving the main shaft forward to give a gap so that the bearing can come out to the rear. This is because the rearmost cog is right up against the gearbox housing so the bearing can only come out a few mm. 'tapping the mainshaft forwards creats the space between the rearmost cog and the casing.

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Stupid me. I have all these as notes and did not bother to look them up before I started. Page 4 gives me another method that I must admit I was thinking of making up but now, it appears I'll have to. I just did not have the tool to hand. Thanks for pointing me in the rght direction.

On 1/20/2021 at 4:50 PM, Richard Pope said:

Stupid me. I have all these as notes and did not bother to look them up before I started. Page 4 gives me another method that I must admit I was thinking of making up but now, it appears I'll have to. I just did not have the tool to hand. Thanks for pointing me in the rght direction.

Sorted. Made up a pusher as per this and it worked. I have to say even with very tight pressure from tightening the nuts, it still needed very heavy use of a (soft head) hammer in combination with constant tightenimg of the puller nuts. Still after an hour it eventually freed itself.