13 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

I could accept that Stuart but Mark had that problem and when he changed to AP he still gets it. I do not know if he experiences the same as I do though.

I now have my TR5 on my two poster with the wheels off trying to study what is happening and where might be the problem.

All good fun and lock down has its plus sign's.

Regards Harry

Have you still got a pair of serviceable original calipers? If so a comparison test may give you the answer.

Stuart.

I had this when all was standard and fully rebuilt. I deduced it was pad knock back and did the sleeve over the stub axle with adjustable shims. Did not like that as it seemed like a bodge to me. Hence all uprated stuff trying this and that and end result round and round in circles still the same. Now I have it up in the air more time to study what it is.

Can not go any where so might as well study it a lot closer.

Or just put up with it.

Regards Harry

1 hour ago, harrytr5 said:

I had this when all was standard and fully rebuilt. I deduced it was pad knock back and did the sleeve over the stub axle with adjustable shims. Did not like that as it seemed like a bodge to me. Hence all uprated stuff trying this and that and end result round and round in circles still the same. Now I have it up in the air more time to study what it is.

Can not go any where so might as well study it a lot closer.

Or just put up with it.

Regards Harry

Did it still do it when you tried the spacer and shims? I realise you werent keen on it but did it stop it? What camber and castor are you running and what wheels and tyres?

Stuart.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my problem Stuart.

It is a TR5 and standard camber and caster as per book.  185 x 70 x 15 Vredestien  tyres and  Silverstone 11 alloy wheels 6J. Had minilites on before.

To be honest Stuart I cannot remember if the spacer and shims did it or not as it was a long time ago. I guess it did not and changed out to what I have now.

If I lived nearer to you....

Regards Harry

Stuart,

Yes power steering.

Both full lock and partial.

Had this when all standard.

Neil,

Will check tomorrow, although changed out the shoes as a matter of course.

Reverse in a straight line, brake. drive forwards in a straight line brake and firm pedal. Now do the same tuning the steering wheel to the left and then to the right braking

as before, long brake pedal. So in the front is the problem.

Regards Harry

Did you have the PAS when you first encountered this? If so then I wonder if the PAS is causing flex as its inputting more effort into the upright/caliper bell than you would get with standard steering.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Stuart,

Yes power steering.

Both full lock and partial.

Had this when all standard.

Neil,

Will check tomorrow, although changed out the shoes as a matter of course.

Reverse in a straight line, brake. drive forwards in a straight line brake and firm pedal. Now do the same tuning the steering wheel to the left and then to the right braking

Regards Harry

11 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

@stuartnow I see your point! If Harry was braking while turning it's not just the stubs that are loaded; it's the callipers as well. I my case the problem occurred after reversing & turning *without* braking, and then braking in a straight line.

The steering and moving of the car when the wheels are not facing straight fwd direction apply lateral forces on wheel, hub, trunnion, and in fact the entire front suspension. The construction is not overly stiff, and some play or low stiffness in the system, in particularly in the stub-axle can cause the callipers to move lateral relative to the disk.  This will then push back some oil to the MC.

Waldi