Problem bleeding front brakes on TR5

Automec silicon. Used it in the 3a because it was there when I bought it and it has been fine, so went down the same route.

Cheers

Tim

14 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Automec silicon. Used it in the 3a because it was there when I bought it and it has been fine, so went down the same route.

Cheers

Tim

Hate to say this but in your case that maybe the problem (awaits everyone who uses it jumping in saying that it wont be the problem) It maybe the seals that have been used just arent compatible. You do know you have to be really careful and slow when bleeding silicon as it bubbles very easily and takes quite a while for them to disperse.

Stuart.

I like Automec and have used it for years, but Stuart is right that bubbles do stay in the fluid for longer.

Automec IS also a little more compressible than quality dot4 so the pedal travel will be a little longer.

i have had good results bleeding with a gunsons eazibleed, having poured the Automec slowly and let it settle.

additionally leaving the system pressurised overnight, stick wedging the brake pedal down, does help

good luck!

steve

Yes. Hope I don’t regret asking this but why?

Tim

29 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Yes. Hope I don’t regret asking this but why?

Tim

I`d like to know too, shouldnt make any difference to spongy brakes.

Stuart.

Perhaps I should say that rather than spongy they don’t work! With car off the ground and foot on the brake the brakes prevent the wheels from turning but there is no way they would stop the car if driven on the road.

Everything within the braking system is either new or reconditioned.

Have sent the MC for retesting. Am going through all the unions yet again! Will have one more go with SBF with gravity bleed and pressurised pedal overnight and keep fingers crossed.

If that fails then will revert to Dot4.... perhaps!
Cheers,

Tim

15 hours ago, stuart said:

They shouldnt be.

Stuart.

Funnily enough I’ve just replaced the rear pads, discs and callipers on my daily hack..., a Golf, and couldn’t get a decent feel to the pedal even after repeated pressure bleeding ( golfs can be a pain to bleed properly). Left it a few days and the pedal feel is back to normal after bedding them in properly. Can tell now the discs have an even shine.

Whilst the MC is away being tested is there any benefit in “priming” the pipes with a very slow gravity feed or will I introduce sufficient air when finally connecting the MC as to negate any theoretical benefit?
Tim

I did. Am pinning my hopes on gravity feed and time!!!
Tim