TR3a Starter Motor Cable spec

Hi Guys.

As this is my first post I'd like to say hello to you all.    

Hope to share many stories and findings with you all during my stay.

A brief note about me and the car....

Well Ive inherited my TR3a off my dad who sadly passed away this Christmas. The car is a '59 British racing green TR3a roadster that's been in our family for over 40 years. Ive helped repair and keep it on the road for the past 15 years with my day but unfortunately its not been used for 4 years to my dads ill health. As his funeral is on Friday I thought it would be quite fitting to follow the hurst in his old car but she's playing hard to get!!

Im trying to get her running (fresh fuel, new battery etc) but as obviously the carbs are bone dry its taking quite a bit of cranking and that's lead me to find that the starter motor wiring is getting quite hot and wanted to get a new cable made up and was wondering if anyone knows the gauge cable that's advisable to use and what size terminals should I get crimped onto it?   Its using the old school (bomb?) starter and the starter solenoid is the one with the rubber push button on it.

Any help or advise would be greatly received.

Thanks for now and all the best

Alex.

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum.   

Your starting problem may not be due to the starter.  The choke lever on the 3A can be sticky and give the impression it is open when it is in fact only half way. If it is doing that the car will be a devil to start from cold. The choke knob should be pulled a good 1.5 inches (40mm) from the dash which in some cases can almost be a two-handed pull. 

You might find 25mm^2 cable will actually do for the starter but to minimise voltage drop a cable of  40mm^2 cross-section is better as it has rather lower resistance and is only about 2mm fatter.    The terminals should be the matching size for the cable e.g. 40mm^2 cable needs 40mm^2 terminals.   Don't forget to check the condition of the engine earth-return strap which is a braided cable down at the front engine mount near the dip-stick. The starter current has to get back through that so it too needs to be a good low resistance connection. 

Edited by RobH

You can also prime the carbs by hand using the lever on the side. Give it half a dozen upward pulls slowly.  It is also advisable to use one hand under the front carb to move and hold open the hinge choke and then press the solenoid button. Make sure you are in neutral. 
Also  clean the plugs first or new ones 

Good luck

Richard & B

Welcome Alex.

I am sorry to read of your loss.

Have you got the engine to fire?

If not perhaps the rotor arm has been removed or the low tension lead to the coil or distributor is disconnected.  These could be done as thief delaying tactics.

As Richard says there is a priming lever on the bottom of the fuel pump and giving that half a dozen ‘lifts’ will push fuel into the carbs.   Is the fuel getting into the carbs ok?   Has the fuel tap been pushed off?  Again a thief proofing trick.

Cheers

Peter W

Thats for the reply guys!

Ive covered most bases regarding the fuel primer etc. Its on electronic ignition so I know the ignition side is OK as I removed the HT lead to cylinder 1 and we have a spark. I will check tonight after work regarding the choke and as advised by Richard and I will also check the earth strap from engine to chassis. All this hasn't been made any easier because the last person to look at it or tinker with it in some way has put the car back into the garage with the nose at the back of the garage that's making getting a jump start for more cranking amps harder because of the cars position.

ATB

Alex

Photo for my own inspiration 

IMG_0241.JPG

Alex thats a beautiful car and one you have grown up with which is ace.

I lost my dad the back end of 2018 I am sorry for your loss. The car will provide you with many happy memories of him. 

the silliest of jobs on that car that you do moving forward will bring him right back with a smile.

a bit of renewed umph on the battery, new fuel. And good plugs on a full choke should see you right. 

best of luck

H

On 1/19/2021 at 11:30 AM, stillp said:

Sorry about your dad. Great idea to follow the hearse in his car. If you keep struggling to get it started put your location on here and I'm sure someone local to you will offer to help.

Pete

All seems to be good to go, Ive had to drain the fuel bowl, fresh fuel, new battery and strip and service the brake master cylinder. Just a road test on the road to see if it stops, then round the block and then if alls well go put some more fuel in it and give her a quick clean and she's ready to see her owner out in true British style Pandemic or not.

Thanks to anyone that's been following or given input to this thread. Its been great to "cut my teeth" fettling the car..... Almost like I'm having to earn my stripes. 

ATB 

Alex.

IMG_0238.JPG