Anti roll Bar size

Hi

During the first lockdown in a moment of boredom I purchased a rear anti roll bar, with a view to fitting it as a winter project (after doing the front suspension). Ive since done some further research on the forum & discovered convention is that the rear arb should be thinner than the front.

Problem is the rear one I've purchased is 3/4" & the front standard arb is 11/16" as best as I can measure. So should I buy the uprated front arb at 7/8" (if I can find one)?

The suspension will be : Front - std springs, Gaz shocks, polybushes.  Rear - std spring, lever arms 20wt oil , polybushes. 

Thanks

Alan 

Less a matter of convention than how you want it to handle. I should fit the rear bar and find a local piece of tarmac to throw it around a few roundabouts and see how it handles. Your rear bar will induce oversteer so you will probably wish to fit the larger front arb to counteract.

Not sure why Pete has linked to Spitfire bar as surely it must be too narrow, he must have a cunning plan.

Jerry

16 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

Less a matter of convention than how you want it to handle. I should fit the rear bar and find a local piece of tarmac to throw it around a few roundabouts and see how it handles. Your rear bar will induce oversteer so you will probably wish to fit the larger front arb to counteract.

Not sure why Pete has linked to Spitfire bar as surely it must be too narrow, he must have a cunning plan.

Jerry

Cheap and cunning plan.  Fits fine on TR.   Look at Hamish’s thread and photo about arb stops 

Also look at Suzuki Swift

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
43 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

Jerry

I agree, you need to balance the handling front and back.

my 6 has a rear arb and a larger front one, polybushed and with sideways slip preventers.

drives much flatter than standard and lets go in a reasonably progressive way ( but i do also have a lsd)

steve

7/8ths spitfire bar has a threaded hole each end. So you can bolt a variety of drop links. 

I have similar to these at the moment 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151214491018

and planning on an arrangement using something like  this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202201402146

Edited by Hamish
4 minutes ago, Hamish said:

It has a threaded hole each end. So you can bolt a variety of drop links. 

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking at that price I can buy & experiment.

Hamish from what your saying it should be wide enough & I just need to fit drop links? I have a welder so can fabricate something if need.

Alan  

12 minutes ago, super6al said:

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking at that price I can buy & experiment.

Hamish from what your saying it should be wide enough & I just need to fit drop links? I have a welder so can fabricate something if need.

Alan  

Alan

mine is on a 3a and on steel a rally style rad guard.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/radiator-guard-rally-type-301644.html

Peter Knows his stuff and has advised me with success as I can’t affords the “kits” on offer

i find bits from various sources. 
like these mounts for a tenner each

https://tmrsupplies.co.uk/product/clamp-anti-roll-bar-7-8-dia

And these fixing plates

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/anti-roll-bar-block-mounting-plate-for-12-14-16-size-arb-mb-3

And the drop links I linked to above. 

Thanks Hamish - for some reason the links didn't show when I first looked at your reply. They are there now & I've read them. Will take a look tomorrow on what needs to be done. As you say beats the prices there asking for kits now.

Cheers

Alan

On 1/17/2021 at 8:55 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Cheap and cunning plan.  Fits fine on TR.   Look at Hamish’s thread and photo about arb stops 

Also look at Suzuki Swift

Peter W

On 1/17/2021 at 9:48 PM, Hamish said:

Alan

mine is on a 3a and on steel a rally style rad guard.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/radiator-guard-rally-type-301644.html

Peter Knows his stuff and has advised me with success as I can’t affords the “kits” on offer

i find bits from various sources. 
like these mounts for a tenner each

https://tmrsupplies.co.uk/product/clamp-anti-roll-bar-7-8-dia

And these fixing plates

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/anti-roll-bar-block-mounting-plate-for-12-14-16-size-arb-mb-3

And the drop links I linked to above. 

Hi Peter & Hamish

My FleaBay spit/gt6 arb arrived today. I did a quick offer up & it is indeed shorter than the std TR6 arb with just enough clearance to the edges of the TR6 rad guard. It does look doable though & I'm sure I can get it to fit. Do you have any photos of your setup's. Just to give me some idea on what to fit/modify/fabricate.

Thanks

Alan

Alan

you have seen the rad guard I bough and the anti roll bar fits to this. 

I started off with the polybush mounts which are really good but I did change to the solid Ali blocks and latterly the bar collars.

my cobbled together bits are alpha Romeo drop links that I think i fitted some metal bushes to the anti roll bar threaded ends for a more secure fitting.

I made 2 flat metal plates that fit via the front wishbone spring pan bolts. These were from underneath with small spacers to take into account the spring pan lip. I then moved the home made plate to between the spring pan and the wishbone.

( Stuart on hers say I should be wary of doing thing I save the spring pan cracks under stress)

I have plans to change the drop links to rose joints and May be done form of box section bracket to the wishbone.

is this the sort of thing that you wanted. 

8DF05099-594F-42E3-8DA8-83EF9CE8777F.jpeg

4550CADD-9B74-4FD7-B378-EF688A91DFC8.jpeg

8C0D4250-BF75-4BCC-AE96-E0598B5D8A24.jpeg

F01D3946-7C18-4CA7-850A-71A4C9488C12.jpeg

2DF08AB2-58BA-48A2-9626-FF6EA1D73882.jpeg

FD074409-EC7A-43EE-A463-3A4313F1DD3B.jpeg

Hamish,

Your mounts for the ARB to the chassis, and for the ends to the wishbone are all flat plates, in approx.3mm steel?    They will bend.

Even the much lighter Spitfire has heavily barced wishbone attachments

353927695_ARBtowishbonemountSpitfire.png.9242c468958fcb1a2c19e47a41990146.png

Make them braced by using angle iron, or by gussets to the main members.

Thanks for the photos Hamish. Much appreciated.

Just had another look & the TR6 rad guard extends past the front chassis member & the bumper irons increases that width further. Hence the spitfire arb is tight where the bar curves back to the drop links. Using the mounting blocks on your link would lower the bar (at the expense of ground clearance) creating a bit more side clearance. The TR6 wishbone has a bracket that the drop link mounts to, so I should be able to use this to connect a link of some kind to the arb.

Alan  

IMG_5738.jpg

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Hamish,

Your mounts for the ARB to the chassis, and for the ends to the wishbone are all flat plates, in approx.3mm steel?    They will bend.

Even the much lighter Spitfire has heavily barced wishbone attachments

353927695_ARBtowishbonemountSpitfire.png.9242c468958fcb1a2c19e47a41990146.png

Make them braced by using angle iron, or by gussets to the main members.

Hi John 

I agree about the plates flexing. But less than I thought. And worked well in my sprints etc.

I had to bring the mounting out forward a little as I was cobbling parts together.

But I am going to try a box section. 

Just need warmer garage time. For my todo list. 

On 1/23/2021 at 3:12 PM, Hamish said:

Alan

you have seen the rad guard I bough and the anti roll bar fits to this. 

I started off with the polybush mounts which are really good but I did change to the solid Ali blocks and latterly the bar collars.

my cobbled together bits are alpha Romeo drop links that I think i fitted some metal bushes to the anti roll bar threaded ends for a more secure fitting.

I made 2 flat metal plates that fit via the front wishbone spring pan bolts. These were from underneath with small spacers to take into account the spring pan lip. I then moved the home made plate to between the spring pan and the wishbone.

( Stuart on hers say I should be wary of doing thing I save the spring pan cracks under stress)

I have plans to change the drop links to rose joints and May be done form of box section bracket to the wishbone.

is this the sort of thing that you wanted. 

8DF05099-594F-42E3-8DA8-83EF9CE8777F.jpeg

4550CADD-9B74-4FD7-B378-EF688A91DFC8.jpeg

8C0D4250-BF75-4BCC-AE96-E0598B5D8A24.jpeg

F01D3946-7C18-4CA7-850A-71A4C9488C12.jpeg

2DF08AB2-58BA-48A2-9626-FF6EA1D73882.jpeg

FD074409-EC7A-43EE-A463-3A4313F1DD3B.jpeg

Here is a view of an adjustable set up.

Looks like the bar is through drilled in a few places.

Adjustable Front Roll Bar?.jpeg

Very similar to a Dolomite anti roll bar which is what I used on the TR4 race car at the rear, selection of holes to use.

Mick Richards 

17 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Here is a view of an adjustable set up.

Looks like the bar is through drilled in a few places.

Adjustable Front Roll Bar?.jpeg

What’s the video ?

6 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Very similar to a Dolomite anti roll bar which is what I used on the TR4 race car at the rear, selection of holes to use.

Mick Richards 

The Dolomite Sprint rear bar is cross  drilled so it can be bolted directly to the axle lower control arms.

image.gif.46c115cbf41990abb7df72e028d01978.gif

On 1/17/2021 at 7:24 PM, super6al said:

Hi

During the first lockdown in a moment of boredom I purchased a rear anti roll bar, with a view to fitting it as a winter project (after doing the front suspension). Ive since done some further research on the forum & discovered convention is that the rear arb should be thinner than the front.

Problem is the rear one I've purchased is 3/4" & the front standard arb is 11/16" as best as I can measure. So should I buy the uprated front arb at 7/8" (if I can find one)?

The suspension will be : Front - std springs, Gaz shocks, polybushes.  Rear - std spring, lever arms 20wt oil , polybushes. 

Thanks

Alan 

Hi Alan be careful when fitting a rear ARB I fitted the Racestorations one a few years back to my car but I didn’t upgrade the front one. In my case it produced a set up that gave snap oversteer, it initially handled better but push it to the limit and the car tried to kill you ! 
Roll forwards 25 years or so rebuilt the car and suspension fitted an unrated front ARB and the same rear ARB and the car now handles beautifully, well IMHO and it handles better than I can drive :D