Road Wheel Choices

Just been scanning some of the cars on peoples sigs and it has got me thinking about modern wheel choices. Where do people source their wheels? I currently have TR6 wheels on my car but maybe tempted by something more modern when I've restored her. Was very impressed with some images from the youth section of the TR magazine last year.

Thanks

Jason

13 minutes ago, Jase said:

I was looking at yours Stuart, hence the question, certainly wouldn't want anything that didn't compliment the car.

Beware of cheap copies of the Minilites as they dont have the extra re-enforcing web on the rear and can be a bit fragile.

Stuart.

I have minilite copies on my car, but I recall a few years ago someone posted on this forum about “American Racing” wheels. They looked really good, but I think they said those were very expensive.

Jim

The American Racing wheels are definitely "period", having been fitted by Kas Kastner to the three Rally TR4s which had been shipped across the pond in 1964 and participated in the Shell 4000 Rally that year.

Kas fitted ARE wheels to all his competition TRs in that era.

I believe that David Ferry (he uses this name on the Forum) may have some ARE wheels.

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

I have minilite copies on my car, but I recall a few years ago someone posted on this forum about “American Racing” wheels. They looked really good, but I think they said those were very expensive.

Jim

My favourite but replicas are 6" rims only and v expensive. Check out GC360 Enterprises Ltd and their ebay entry for the price of one wheel.

Tim

3 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

Jim

Aren't new ones in Alloy being made in Canada?

2 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

Jim

There are some on ebay at the moment. 
someone off here I’m sure

just too dear for me as I love the look. 

snd I already have more wheels than space. 

I use the minilite rep silver set on the road

black with a diamond cut rim (just means shiny silver finish) for low profile racing tyres

and another set that are now black yet to have a set of used Avon cr6 fitted. 

EFB2C75C-34EA-453C-A5B5-C8BD2F21BA7C.jpeg

I have the contact details for the guy who makes the wheels in Canada, I think he only makes them in small batches occasionally. When I asked he wasn't in production but was considering 2021

Even though Minilite and the like (ARE, Silverstone II) look "period" they simply do not match the TR4 sharp lines. Minilite nicely match MGB smooth lines and even TR3 but on a TR4/5/250 you need something more spiky closer to the wires. I'm yet to see a convincing alternative to those.

I spent a long time looking for something different  and have never really liked spokes or mini lites.

Eventually found some and am in the process of refurbing some ARE Le Mans wheels .... which I am told were a rare option for the TR6 in the USA.  

Edited by Hawk
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 4:54 PM, Tr4aJim said:

Jim

Hi Jim, It was my forum you saw. The wheels are very rare and sought after by some. You have to be careful when looking for them. Among other things, they do not have a edge to catch the rim when riding flat. Modern wheels now always have this. Much safer. Also be careful with cracks ...

JBW wheels are now on my TR4. 

Jo

IMG_20200506_120452.jpg

IMG_20201121_160215_2.jpg

44 minutes ago, Jase said:

anyone have wires with black spokes on a white car? Looking forward (fingers crossed) to Malvern so I can pinch some ideas :)

Many years ago I had an Old English White Jaguar MK2 with black wires and chrome spinners, did look very good.

Stuart.