Mystery marks in fields. Anyone know what they are?

1 hour ago, Peter Cobbold said: My interest is in the effects on the plants, which are decidedly anomalous-see Paul's video. Peter

Peter, it’s true that plants, in this case cereals, exhibit phototropism, but to suggest that this switches off and on at sunset and sunrise is incorrect. A cereal crop flattened  (by aliens, students influenced by aliens and or cider, or wind) will respond by growing upwards without sunshine, particularly during the stem extension/ ear emergence stage when crop circles appear and particularly if that was what it was doing prior to being flattened. There is some latency in the process and I have seen flattened crops (lodged is the agronomic term) react within an hour if it occurs during active growing conditions. As to the ruptured nodes, the stems are from a more mature crop and this symptom could equally be due to a disease. 

41 minutes ago, Ben's wife said:

You have hit the nail on the head, Roger!

I have to confess to being one of those silly beggars when I was at agricultural college back in the 1980s.  If you look at where these crop circles appear, most are not very far away from an agricultural college, and in a field where they can be seen easily and appreciated by the general public; on a hill or slope facing a major road is ideal!  There was not a lot for farming students to do after dusk, so piling into the back of a Landrover and driving out to some poor unsuspecting farmer’s cereal field and making pretty patterns was the norm.  The use of ropes and planks aid good geometrical designs, but other than that all you needed was a pair of size 10 wellies.  In the Hampshire area, we had a competition with the students from the Winchester College of Art (they were at it too) to try and get a crop circle reported on the local television news.  We never managed that, although we did find a picture of one of ours published in a book.

Fast forwards a few years, I had grown up and got a job working for the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food.  One day I received a call and was summoned to the Cambridge office where I was asked to explain in detail how we made crop circles to a group of American ‘scientists’.   I don’t think it was something I had put on my cv, but somehow, the powers that be had been informed about my naughty pastime and they wanted to know everything about it.  

These ‘scientists’ were firmly of the belief that crop circles were made by aliens and trying to convince them otherwise was nigh on impossible.  Now, I’m not saying I don’t believe in aliens, in fact I am very open to the idea and pretty sure that we are not alone, but aliens are not responsible for crop circles.  When I told the American ‘scientists’ that I had been part of a crop circle making group and our methods, they told me it was because the aliens made me.  When I told them that it wasn’t the aliens that made me, it was the cider, they told me it was the aliens who made me drink the cider…..and so the discussion continued…

Now I found myself in rather a strange position.  I was confessing to something I really shouldn’t have done; after all, I had vandalised some poor farmer’s crop, which would have caused a loss in yield and therefore income, but the Americans wouldn’t believe me.  They were determined to pin all culpability on the aliens.  As I decided that this was a case I could not win (or lose, depending on your viewpoint) and that I was unlikely to ever meet the poor aliens being framed for my misdemeanours, I decided to leave the loony American scientists in the car park at Brooklands Avenue, chanting over piles of flattened wheat which they had collected from crop circles.

I guessed you were naughty, but not that naughty !

Bob.

57 minutes ago, Ben's wife said:

You have hit the nail on the head, Roger!

I have to confess to being one of those silly beggars when I was at agricultural college back in the 1980s.  If you look at where these crop circles appear, most are not very far away from an agricultural college, and in a field where they can be seen easily and appreciated by the general public; on a hill or slope facing a major road is ideal!  There was not a lot for farming students to do after dusk, so piling into the back of a Landrover and driving out to some poor unsuspecting farmer’s cereal field and making pretty patterns was the norm.  The use of ropes and planks aid good geometrical designs, but other than that all you needed was a pair of size 10 wellies.  In the Hampshire area, we had a competition with the students from the Winchester College of Art (they were at it too) to try and get a crop circle reported on the local television news.  We never managed that, although we did find a picture of one of ours published in a book.

Fast forwards a few years, I had grown up and got a job working for the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food.  One day I received a call and was summoned to the Cambridge office where I was asked to explain in detail how we made crop circles to a group of American ‘scientists’.   I don’t think it was something I had put on my cv, but somehow, the powers that be had been informed about my naughty pastime and they wanted to know everything about it.  

These ‘scientists’ were firmly of the belief that crop circles were made by aliens and trying to convince them otherwise was nigh on impossible.  Now, I’m not saying I don’t believe in aliens, in fact I am very open to the idea and pretty sure that we are not alone, but aliens are not responsible for crop circles.  When I told the American ‘scientists’ that I had been part of a crop circle making group and our methods, they told me it was because the aliens made me.  When I told them that it wasn’t the aliens that made me, it was the cider, they told me it was the aliens who made me drink the cider…..and so the discussion continued…

Now I found myself in rather a strange position.  I was confessing to something I really shouldn’t have done; after all, I had vandalised some poor farmer’s crop, which would have caused a loss in yield and therefore income, but the Americans wouldn’t believe me.  They were determined to pin all culpability on the aliens.  As I decided that this was a case I could not win (or lose, depending on your viewpoint) and that I was unlikely to ever meet the poor aliens being framed for my misdemeanours, I decided to leave the loony American scientists in the car park at Brooklands Avenue, chanting over piles of flattened wheat which they had collected from crop circles.

Vicky.

There are and were without a doubt hoaxers who create CCs and hoaxers who claim to create them. But man-made CCs  are crude in construction and easily recognised and discarded these days. The claimant for this Mandelbrot CF when interviwed could not describe the relationship between diameter and circumference:https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/177624/view/mandelbrot-set-crop-circle  The central heart shape has a continously changing radius.

I am looking for collaborators in the Wilt Hants areas so you are welcome to explore the other side of the phenomenon.

There is nothing I am aware of that implicates aliens, as in ET.

Peter

44 minutes ago, Ben Freer said:

Ben,

Take a look at this site. http://www.bltresearch.com/plantab.php

Under Plant Abnormalities Levengood attributed "blown nodes " to microwaves, and ruled out disease. Can you find flaws in his analyses? What explains node elongation? seedling growth homogeny ?

My plant physiology is rudimentary, I got as  far as Bryophytes ( taught by Dr Betty Moss !)

I have bench measurements planned to test what I think might be happening.

Peter

8 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Ben,

Take a look at this site. http://www.bltresearch.com/

Peter, nodes in cereal or any grass are the only place that the stem can change direction so to see elongation of the node is a natural response to the change in direction of growth. I would have thought that if steam was expelled from the nodes it would kill the plant. I can’t explain how “Stressgard” works as it claims to increase yields and plant resilience. If this worked in the field it would have been adopted commercially.

1 hour ago, Ben Freer said:

Peter, nodes in cereal or any grass are the only place that the stem can change direction so to see elongation of the node is a natural response to the change in direction of growth. I would have thought that if steam was expelled from the nodes it would kill the plant. I can’t explain how “Stressgard” works as it claims to increase yields and plant resilience. If this worked in the field it would have been adopted commercially.

Ben,  agree, ready-cooked !

Elongated nodes -straight,no cavities - are quite common in the Cfs but not outside. Faster normal growth is my interpretation. Then if the outer wall of the node grows faster than the inner (dead?) wall the concertina actiion could cause buckling of the oouter wall and thence those  cavities. Would that fit with known anatomy of the nodes and growt rates diametrically across a node ?

As I'll explain in another post I am looking for evidence of anamalous flow of time un high strangness phenomena. And aberrantly fast growth in plants in CFs look like a relaible source in which to make bench measurements. In physics time is not supposed to flow ! - its anchored to space.

Peter

The more usual layout of a series of archelogical test pits is a grid, of 1 meter square pits, which may be chequered, like a chess board or more widely spaced.   That's not what is seen above.    

However, "evaluation trenching" may be carried out, in jst the scenarioa suggested, forthcoming construction excavation.   "Trenches are generally between 25 m and 50 m in length, and up to 1.8 m wide."  (See Wessex Archeology website: https://www.wessexarch.co.uk/archaeological-services/evaluation-trial-trenching)   This fits well with the observed markings.    Nowadays, the apparently random layout of the trenches may have been guided by preliminary ground-penetrating radar.

On BBC TV recently "The Biggest Dig" was about cemetaries, Victorina and later, in London and Manchester that are being 'archeologised' thanks to HS2, with enormous contribution to social history,  Sad to say, they are no longer available, even online.

John