Anti Roll Bar Collars

My TR3A uprated anti roll bar started to slide from side to side when I went to solid Ali mounting blocks so I wanted to fit some shaft collars. One on the outside of either side of the Ali mounting blocks. 
however my anti roll bar is mounted to a rad guard and thus I needed to trim this to make space for the collar.

some dremmel work later it’s sorted. 

D9C3BA35-1114-416A-8D72-83E2DF61D824.jpeg

9F1AA537-90B9-429B-ADDF-86A27610F2B2.jpeg

52949A32-730C-421E-BD18-CD4E2A3D059D.jpeg

C53325A6-6F4D-4E2E-988D-6FF57D2DB2FE.jpeg

Hmmm, you might find there’s a material change now in the handling.
I can well understand trying to limit the anti roll bar being forced across the car through the alloy blocks but having a clamped collar against those blocks, will change the dynamic from it’s original state, and I think the handling by stiffening the effort of the wishbones ( trying to push the bar against the clamps) through their operating range...I suspect. Try it and see.

Mick Richards

Clamps to prevent sideways movement are usually only required when drop links with ball joints at both ends are used. 
If you don’t have ball jointed drop links a bit of sideways movement is needed when the suspension articulates. 

4 hours ago, Hamish said:

Luckily then my next move is rose jointed drop links.

I made my own using these things

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Imperial-Male-Female-Male-Right-Hand-Studded-Rose-Joint-Track-Rod-End-Economy/382641114687?hash=item5917300e3f:g:ODkAAOSwiwZb9ouN

You have the Spitfire front bar so this will be what I’d start with to fit the stud on the bar

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Imperial-Male-UNF-RH-LH-Ultra-High-Performance-Rod-End-Rose-Heim-Joint-All-Sizes/382641475108?hash=item5917358e24:g:KjIAAOSwxG9b9rfV

Check sizes before buying!!!   

Peter W

ps. Probably not too overpriced and adaptable for a TR with Spitfire 7/8 arb 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-GT6-Herald-TVR-Grantura-Vixen-rod-end-anti-roll-bar-drop-links/313370333126?hash=item48f653cfc6:g:1XEAAOSw8n5dAVkP

C1F4ECD7-CDE1-463F-A2BF-B14C5B7BCCE2.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Peter

i am planning a very similar assembly of male female rose joints that will fit on the threaded anti roll bar end with any spacers required. 

I also need to make up some more robust bracketry on the wish bone. As the plate I’m using could be better. 

46 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

Does it matter if it moves? It will still be acting as a torsion bar and the length hasn't changed. What am I missing Hamish?

Jerry

Jerry

i have no technical reasons for stopping the slide.  I suppose I just prefer the direct forces to work on the wishbones. Many other cars on the sprints etc have then also. 
but it may just be lock down Boredom doing a job that doesn’t need doing.  

+1 with Jerry.

Mick Richards