Fuel Tap design/tightness?

Hi there,

I have just fitted the org fuel tap to my TR which was missing as I wanted to improve the filter glass removal process. With the tank just filled with one gallon, I do have a slight leaking on the top of the tap. I will exchange the cork seal in the next step but am wondering if it is really possible to get this tap type tight at all...?

Any recommendations or alternative tap recommendations?

Input welcome!

Cheers

Oliver

You may find that the corks have dried out and will swell up slightly which may stop the leak on its own.

Ralph

Hi Oliver,

Start by tightening the adjuster on the end of the tap to squeeze the cork seal. Slacken the locknut and turn the small slotted screw clockwise. Only do this is small amounts, half a turn at a time, then check if it is still leaking. This usually does the job.

Mick

20 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

Hi Oliver,

Start by tightening the adjuster on the end of the tap to squeeze the cork seal. Slacken the locknut and turn the small slotted screw clockwise. Only do this is small amounts, half a turn at a time, then check if it is still leaking. This usually does the job.

Mick

Adjusting screw should be turned anti clockwise to tighten the cork and the lock not must be retightened before operating the tap or you undo all the adjustment.  I think the lock nut is a BA size.

Peter W

Have you read this article?

In 2013 I modified my fuel tap by throwing away the cork, & replacing it with a short section of fuel tubing. As with the cork, you can squeeze it with the adjuster nut till it seals nicely. I had not touched it in till November when I started my engine rebuild. It turned off properly, did not leak, & turned on again when all was back together, & still does not leak.

Bob.

Funnily enough, my brother, who owned a really tatty TR3 at the time, wrote a short piece for Newsletter 17 in Spring 1974.  Peter took the cheap short-term solution to a leak: a length of flexible tubing. 

Triumph, in its wisdom, deleted the petrol tap on the TR4.  However, with up to 18 gallons of expense juice sitting in the back of my car, any work on the petrol pump presents a problem!  Hence, I installed a modern petrol tap in the usual position.   Proper modern petrol taps do not leak - it's important to ensure that any tap is for PETROL.

Ian Cornish

53 minutes ago, ianc said:

Funnily enough, my brother, who owned a really tatty TR3 at the time, wrote a short piece for Newsletter 17 in Spring 1974.  Peter took the cheap short-term solution to a leak: a length of flexible tubing. 

Triumph, in its wisdom, deleted the petrol tap on the TR4.  However, with up to 18 gallons of expense juice sitting in the back of my car, any work on the petrol pump presents a problem!  Hence, I installed a modern petrol tap in the usual position.   Proper modern petrol taps do not leak - it's important to ensure that any tap is for PETROL.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian can you share details of the tap you acquired.

Regards Colin.

Colin - I bought from Revington on 22/07/97.  There's no part number on the invoice, but I guess I was the first to ask for this and Neil thought it a good idea.

On his website one can find tap with with connection to two different sizes of fuel pipe, and either plain or braided hose to the pump.  I have the braided hose.

Ian Cornish

In my limited experience, the Ewarts (motor cycle tap) is liable to leaks when you most don't need one. A French hotel car park in my case, when there is little you can do about it.

If the cork is good then an unused tap may eventually seal but as Basil once said about fire extinguishers, It just sits there .... and when you actually need the thing...

A non leaking tap, unused for several years will almost certainly leak when used, even if still in petrol.

Mods to solve this include:

Replace the mushroom shaped brass seal adjusting screw with a stainless one. These can have a longer threaded portion be tightened without fear of the ears braking off. Never did find out what the thread should be so re-tapped to 2BA.

As Bob, use some suitable fuel pipe to replace the cork. In fact, I'd never use cork as it wears away every time the tap is operated and new-old stock items are worthless.

Non need to chuck the Ewarts, it just needs updating!

MikeJ

any use ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-LINE-FUEL-TAP-STAINLESS-BRASS-TO-8mm-ID-PIPE-autograss-rally-race/293714355430

Peter W

Sorry Duplicate info.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 2 months later...

This tap was brought to me for repair as “leaks like a sieve and will not stop leaking even if the cork adjustment is tightened.”

We can see why.

I have replaced the cork with my brass bobbin and ‘o’ rings modification.

88A51103-AA57-455C-9CA2-BD6A73B714C6.jpeg

D69A0118-0459-484E-9EF2-0313E3F916F9.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Spelling

Nice job Peter.

My modification of substituting a short length of fuel pipe (of an appropriate diameter)for the cork is still working well after 7 years so will stick with it till it fails.

Bob.

1 hour ago, Richardtr3a said:

I gave up on this tap years ago. I took it on to the workbench and soldered it open. It has never leaked and I had forgotten about it until now.

Richard & B

Yes that has been the fate of many of these taps. 

But once soldered open, what do you do when you have a tank full of expensive petrol and you want to work on the petrol pump?

Dutch boy with finger in dyke?  Not available owing to current restrictions - he would have to self-isolate for a fortnight.

The reason that I fitted a tap to my TR4, an item which Triumph in its wisdom had chosen to omit from TR3A onwards, was so that I would be able to isolate the tank.  And having had to replace the seals in the pump, I'm very glad that I did so.

Ian Cornish

And another thing.........

the inlet and outlet holes in the original petrol tap is bored 3/16”.   The pipe that feeds it and delivers to the pump is 5/16”. od.  
I have bored the inlet and outlet to 9/32” to increase fuel flow and still provide a stop for the pipes.

Peter W

C4D02491-8B55-4336-BBC4-D8C3E7BB24FD.jpeg

CA50044A-0816-4EDD-B983-13F9E4A8EBF7.jpeg

877E4BCE-604F-4075-9C65-40E2209A8470.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT