Hood stick positions TR2

Hi there,

I am trying to assemble my hood rods and vinyl hood (most likely the still the original vinyl hood). With the rods positioned to meet the hood shape, I cannot reach the window with the hood (2 inch gap). I am wondering, if this is due to a shrunk hood (and may retry at warmer cond) or there is need to correct the rod positions. Can anybody advice on the correct position (e.g middle rod in full upright pos?) and experience with shrink of vinyl hoods?

Thanks

Oliver

They definately do shrink. I had a brand new hood in storage for 10 years, and when I came to use it I had to give in and buy a new one. One of the reasons why they say a convertible should always be stored with the top erected.

Ralph.

Sounds like you are trying to erect the hood incorrectly. Mine would be 2” short if I left it unclipped. 
Erect the frame with the over centre section near the body mounting lowered. 
Fit the roof to the windscreen and tonneau deck leaving the first two studs behind the doors unclipped. 
Raise the frame into position by straightening the over centre section. Best done with two people reaching in from the side through the unclipped section. 
Once raised fit the remaining lift the dots. 

This is the answer I have been afraid of :huh:... If I did replace, I most likely would go for a canvas type. Still shy of the investment especially as being used not too often...

nevertheless, input on the rod positions would be appreciated

1 hour ago, Moliver said:

Hi there,

I am trying to assemble my hood rods and vinyl hood (most likely the still the original vinyl hood). With the rods positioned to meet the hood shape, I cannot reach the window with the hood (2 inch gap). I am wondering, if this is due to a shrunk hood (and may retry at warmer cond) or there is need to correct the rod positions. Can anybody advice on the correct position (e.g middle rod in full upright pos?) and experience with shrink of vinyl hoods?

Thanks

Oliver

Attach the soft top roof to the car front and back with the  hood sticks only partly raised as suggested above.  

Professional Trimmers Trick.  

Put and electric fan heater inside the car heating the interior, go for a cup of tea.  When the tea is finished the soft top roof will be nice and pliable and easier to erect on the car.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

FWIW when I got the car there was a vinyl hood with it.  I had a tough time getting it to fit so on a very hot sunny day I put the front of the hood on on and through the day it expanded and I finally managed to all the snaps on and get the sticks into place.

The problem I had with my new Vitesse item was the width. I got it on between the windscreen and rear scuttle, but it was 35mm away from the side windows at both sides and there was no way of stretching in that direction.

Ralph