Hi Guys,

have  a group member who has dismantled his steering box, because of harshness.

Worm and peg are fine, but the bottom face of the worm has roughness, where it runs against the ball race, ha sanybody any knowkedge of refacing the face and then using an approprate thrust washer to compnsate?

Or any one have a good used worm, or RHD box even?

Cheers,

John.

I oil stoned the surface smoother on my TR 2 back in the 70’s.  I used a shaped oil stone, same radius as the ball bearings, turning the worm slowly in the lathe  with lashings of cutting oil. Done at work one lunch time.  That steering box was moved into my TR3A in 1975 and I replaced it 3 years ago with a fully rebuilt steering box assy.  The old box was getting gritty.  It now sits in the rafters of the garage ‘just in case’

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Could you not change the ball race assembly for one of these types of thrust bearing assy, that way the track on the end of the worm is redundant. They come in all sizes and thicknesses. I have not  dismantled a steering box so I don`t know if it is feasible,

Ralph

image.png.f99e30e5804386d6c17c0d215f6ae5e6.png

John.   Normal adjustment took up the additional gap.  If the track is pitted by ball impressions you may be ok.  If the hardening is breaking up the item could be scrap and a salvage scheme like the use of the items Ralph has suggested may be worthwhile. You would need to grind a flat on the arm end where the current ball race groove is.

Ralph.   A good suggestion so long as the exterior of the new track locates precisely in the steering box housing, like the current cup does to locate the worm concentric to the box.  If not the worm will flex away from the peg when the wheel is turned.  That will make for very sloppy steering   

Peter W

Or one of these types might be better if it has to take side loads as well as thrust.

image.png.0e62946e5156072a1baf37e0a8f40a7f.png

Ralph