Fitting the Chrome strip along the side of car

Hi all please excuse my thickness

the very thin metal strip on my 1970 is needing to be refitted and I just don't understand how it is fitted back to the car.   I ordered some rivets from moss and they just look like rivets with big fat heads on and I just don't understand it!

Richard

Hi Richard

are these the things.        Rivet

They go into the skin just like a normal pop rivet. Make sure they are in line - precisely

Once in place, the SS TRim simply pops over the top of the fat head.

Some of the TRim  has a fixed spigot at one end  these go into position first.

Roger

There are 2 types if strips, each with their own rivets. Early cars (1970 too) have the narrow strips, later cars (CR I believe) have the wider ones.

Waldi

When fitting the trim. angle it to one side of the clip and then a smart smack with the flat of your hand will clip them on nicely. As stated make sure the clips are all in a dead straight line.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks for all the replies.

For some reason I am having a mental blank on this - - I am an engineer and can do most, but for some reason I am suffering mentally here!  I will pop to man cave a photo what I have on the car.  I have a cheap rivet tool by the way,

27 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Does this help?  Looks like old rivet bit is still on body140001371_1080359489078636_6081896323374575043_n.thumb.jpg.b8356d6d576979703739cff484ca2750.jpg

Yep that is the correct type of clip. but with that amount of stonechip/filler/paint or whatever around it when fitting you would probably have a fair chance of damaging the finish around it.

Stuart.

59 minutes ago, mtrehy said:

i slide them on. they have a gap at each end for that reason. masking tape on wing to protect paint

Good way to damage the paint, much better to clip them on directly to the panel.

Stuart.

7 minutes ago, stuart said:

Yep that is the correct type of clip. but with that amount of stonechip/filler/paint or whatever around it when fitting you would probably have a fair chance of damaging the finish around it.

Stuart.

Hi - -so your saying the volcano build up around it - is just paint and build up??

On 1/15/2021 at 10:05 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Here are the pop rivet type (that you have) and the plastic type that you tap in with a hammer

https://www.bresco.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=72650&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go!

Peter W

Peter, I got some of those from Bresco; do you need a particular type of nose for the rivet gun? I think the std nose might flatten these rivets?

VMT

David

David,

The rivet tool should have a small tip that fits inside the edge of the clip. Some tools (mine does) have a couple of tips with different diameters.

Waldi

11 hours ago, qkingston said:

Peter, I got some of those from Bresco; do you need a particular type of nose for the rivet gun? I think the std nose might flatten these rivets?

VMT

David

You're over complicating it.

If the tips you have don't fit inside the rivet cup then either grind the tool smaller or put a very small bit of tube or some small washers between the tool and the rivet when you use it which is effectively the same as slimming and lengthening the rivet tool

Edited by mtrehy
Info
16 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi - -so your saying the volcano build up around it - is just paint and build up??

Yes it certainly looks like it, Your fitting new ones anyway so a little clear up will help, flt off with some 1200 wet and dry and polish up with Tcut or similar then when you fit the new clip put a little non setting sealer around the rivet, dip it in waxoyl and then fit. with a small brush apply some waxoyl along the inside channel of the strip as well.

Stuart.