TR250/TR4? Wiper motor mounting grommets

I have tried a search for this topic but it came up with gearbox mounts and other topics before even mentioning  wiper motors.

I have the 3 threaded bars, washers and nuts but no grommets.

I can't  find anyone that sells these. Does anyone know where to buy them and have a picture/diagram of the arrangement.

Thanks 

Eddie 

I bought some from Moss but could not use them. There was no way they would pass through the mounting bracket.

Tim

Try Rolls Royce ones at 21p each.  They are slightly smaller diameter and a bit thinner than TR ones.  Sadly out of stock too.

pt no CD 4208

https://www.introcar.co.uk/lookbook/wiper-motor-chassis-numbers-1001-6003-li812

B42DA44A-D632-42B7-AA91-5C3D87F54B8C.jpeg

Hope the pic clarifies and that I haven't spoken out of turn.

Atb

Tim

IMG_5612_LIs.thumb.jpg.fc07c61e4f68edba8d3f125fddbecead.jpg

Should be assembled

Stud screwed into motor holding washer against motor.

motor with stud and washer pass through grommet

All held from below by washer and nut

In your picture I cannot see the upper washer gripped between motor and stud. Nor the lower washer come to that.

The mounting arrangement is not a solid set up. There should be flex between the motor and mounting bracket.

Cheers

Peter W

BA962F9E-79FC-44F4-BC8C-6F73F9804753.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Oops, thanks Pete! I had better revisit this. I think that I just put back what I took off.

Thanks,

Tim

Well, I too obviously didn’t know how they fitted. Learn something everyday!!!

Tim

11 minutes ago, John L said:

I found these from a Morris Minor could they work?  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/bush-pin-set-wiper-motor-mounting-17h5431.html?assoc=137369

John

Same item as TR.   if you look further down the linked page Moss tell you where else the same item is used.   MG AH TR etc   Lucas were quite good about standardising parts like threads and fixings when the same design item was used across vehicle ranges.  Typical item is the screw that holds the points in the 23 & 25 D distributors that fitted a whole industry of engines in the 60’s  You may note it was described as  “SCREW, for points”   A witty we once got passed the censors for many years.   It is now Screw, point set to base plate   Pt no GCS 1001S

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Just checked the mounting on my motor following Pete’s comments and to my relief the washers are where they should but do not show in the photos.

Tim

I spent a couple of hours trying to get the grommets through the holes.

Eventually I cut the grommets in half and put each half individually each side of the bracket. As long as they were both centralised and the nuts tightened up (with the washers in place) it seemed to do the trick.

Charlie.

4 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

I spent a couple of hours trying to get the grommets through the holes.

Eventually I cut the grommets in half and put each half individually each side of the bracket. As long as they were both centralised and the nuts tightened up (with the washers in place) it seemed to do the trick.

Charlie.

Although I have not had an issue with these grommets others that I have struggled with I dealt with in a different way.

I cut the grommet down its length so it could be opened up in a 'C' shape then you can feed an open end into the hole and screw it in place.

I would not advise this if the grommet is protecting thin individual cables. But looms work well as would the wiper grommets.

Roger  

Problem usually is theyre made from either too hard a "Shore" rubber or not even rubber, they were never easy to fit when you could get originals mind.

Stuart.

Does nobody else use the windscreen installer trick? Using a cord/string in the grommet? Might not work if the material is too hard, but works well for me on rubbery grommets.

John

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Does nobody else use the windscreen installer trick? Using a cord/string in the grommet? Might not work if the material is too hard, but works well for me on rubbery grommets.

John

I'll TRy that one day

Roger

I bought these from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-743176-DR2-DR3-Wiper-Motor-Rubber-Mounts-for-Mini-MG-Morris-17H5431/202782535241?epid=2038775097&hash=item2f36c7ee49:g:40IAAOxyf2pR55qg

I found with a drop of washing up liquid and a lot of patience I could get them through the holes in the mounting plate