Holes, advice please

When I got the car stripped of paint it revealed this little lot in the rear wing, it appears to be in the shape of a gun and there was a little light fitted behind it (theres some strange folk accross the pond) anyway my original plan was to fill them with lead but as soon as I put a blowtorch near it the panel started throwing shapes and I chickened out and I reckon with that number of holes it will distort if I weld it. Any idea's greatfully recieved?

IMG_2366.JPG

Mig weld should be fine with this, start at opposite ends alternating to minimise the heat area. You could use a heat sink on the inside, like a large solid piece of steel or bronze if you’ve got it.

Hi Bruce,

I've done plenty of lead loading, normally in area's where there is stiffness in the panel surrounding the area. Some distortion but manageable.

Having put a near 1/2 door skin on to my TR4A recently, I was concerned about undertaking lead loading of the welded joint as local heating of the panel would surely distort it. Luckily a friend mentioned an old boy, now retired, with 60 years experience in car body work/lead loading that lived not far away.

To cut to the chase he came to me and lead loaded the door with no distortion. His method was to pre-heat the whole panel with my propane torch with a large nozzle and kept the panel at an even temperature throughout the process. A pleasure to watch a craftsman at work.

Using this technique I would think your wing would be no problem, you just have to be brave. In my experience Mig welding that amount of holes will certainly badly distort the panel and be difficult to restore the shape.

Good luck

Rich

Hi Bruce,

if you are not too concerned about the finish on the inner surface you could dimple the holes on the outside and fit countersink iron rivets

120 degree rivets would be best.  Model engineering supplies usually stock such items.

These would easily fill the holes and can be sanded down flush.

But I still like the MIG idea

Roger

On 1/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, pfenlon said:

you could put GRP behind it inside the panel then bondo the outside, just a thought.

Whatever you do you are going to have to use a skim of filler on the outside to get a good finish. I have used Roger's technique in the past but with countersunk alluminium pop rivets (note this was with an alluminium body panel). A great deal depends on your skills, equipment you have and the budget. Have you considered a good second hand wing instead?

Edited by Phil Read
spelling