Tr2 windscreen rubber seal

Hi

Just trying to fit the bottom rubber seal to the windscreen. Bought one from Moss which is twice as thick and wide as the original ones. No way is it going to fit into the channel. Is there anywhere else that I can purchase one that is more accurate on the sizing in the UK? 

many thanks 

Colin

8 hours ago, Colin V said:

Hi

Just trying to fit the bottom rubber seal to the windscreen. Bought one from Moss which is twice as thick and wide as the original ones. No way is it going to fit into the channel. Is there anywhere else that I can purchase one that is more accurate on the sizing in the UK? 

many thanks 

Colin

On occasion I've found parts are suitable for later cars and not the TR2. There are quite a few differences, especially for the very early cars, and not all of them are reflected in the parts. 

However, I fitted a Moss lower windscreen rubber to my long door TR2 (TR3732O) without too much difficulty, but it was a tight fit.

Edited by John McCormack

Hi Colin,

mine came as part of a kit from Rimmers and went in ok. I applied double sided tape used for vinyl flooring (very thin) to the rubber and was then able to wrap it round the edge of the screen and it held itself in place, which made fitting a lot easier. It was only about 1mm-2mm thick.

Ralph

It is the same seal as lower screen of MGA.  
You can buy it on the roll, which does not have the curved down moulded ends a genuine seal has.  Check this for size.

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/pdf/ATMG1964DR.pdf

Peter W

PS full range.  https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=68#90

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
28 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

It is the same seal as lower screen of MGA.  
You can buy it on the roll, which does not have the curved down moulded ends a genuine seal has.  Check this for size.

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/pdf/ATMG1964DR.pdf

Peter W

PS full range.  https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=68#90

But that seal isnt angled like the original TR one so may not pull down tight enough across the scuttle.

Stuart.

15 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Which is a problem with mine and now I know why.  Thanks.

Yes it must be fitted with the seal angled rearwards

Stuart.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:46 PM, Colin V said:

Hi

many thanks 

Colin

On 1/14/2021 at 7:42 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Hi Colin,

mine came as part of a kit from Rimmers and went in ok. I applied double sided tape used for vinyl flooring (very thin) to the rubber and was then able to wrap it round the edge of the screen and it held itself in place, which made fitting a lot easier. It was only about 1mm-2mm thick.

Ralph

Sorry Colin,  disregard my reply, I thought you were talking about the seal around the glass, I didn`t realise you meant the bulkhead seal, however mine came from Rimmers as part of that same kit and fitted perfectly.

Ralph

11 minutes ago, Colin V said:

Hi

Thanks for everyone’s help. We managed to get the rubber in after modifying it slightly. Hopefully it stays in!!!!

Colin

You shouldnt have needed to modify it, it will fit eventually.

Stuart.

• 5 months later...

If you mean the lower seal between the frame and the body then the trick is to locate one half of the seal’s T in the groove and tease the other half into place using a blunt tool.   Soap or KY will help with insertion.  Oooo matron.  
Do not cut anything until a day or so after fitting, as the seal will  shrink/settle into place.

I have never been able to pull/slide the seal into the groove from one side, it always snags on the groove entry point.  No doubt I am missing a trick.

Peter. W

PS.  You wait till you attempt to fit the top seal!

PPS.  Have you read Stuart’s advice here?  Screen Assembly.pdf

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I agree about how to fit the lower seal, just bushit in with a blunt screwdriver etc. RE the top seal, I was able to slide that one in from one end, plenty of lube needed though !

Bob.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to join the aero screen club for awhile with my daily driver TR2. We are in lockdown so no daily driving except shopping etc.
While I have the windscreen off I thought I'd replace the upper and lower rubbers which luckily I have in my spares.
Does the windscreen need to be totally dismantled to fit the lower seal or can it be fitted just with the stanchions removed. I can't remember from last time.

26 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

I've decided to join the aero screen club for awhile with my daily driver TR2. We are in lockdown so no daily driving except shopping etc.
While I have the windscreen off I thought I'd replace the upper and lower rubbers which luckily I have in my spares.
Does the windscreen need to be totally dismantled to fit the lower seal or can it be fitted just with the stanchions removed. I can't remember from last time.

Aeroscreens are really the business for wind in your hair driving.  
At Malvern International meet last Saturday I saw no other TR arrive sporting aeroscreens.  Was I really the only one who drove there with them fitted?  If it rains you get wet, so dress correctly as the two wheelers do.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Aeroscreens are really the business for wind in your hair driving.  
At Malvern International meet last Saturday I saw no other TR arrive sporting aeroscreens.  Was I really the only one who drove there with them fitted?  If it rains you get wet, so dress correctly as the two wheelers do.

Peter W

Some years ago I was aeroscreens only for about 15 years. My windscreen was badly crazed and replacements weren't available. 

This time it is just because I felt like experiencing the sportiness of it, and the car looks great.

But I might as well put new seals in while the screen is off. The lower seal is a poor repro and I have spares of both the lower and upper so now is the time. 

Yes, my wife's screen is on now too.

IMG_0874.jpg

Edited by John McCormack
7 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Leave the stanchions on as you'll never be able to slide the rubber in, start at the middle and get one side of the "T" into the channel and using a blunt screwdriver press the other side in working out from the middle, not forgetting to get the rubber the right way round I.e. leaning towards the rear. let it settle and then get the securing plates fitted and then trim the ends to suit.

Stuart

Edited by stuart
18 hours ago, stuart said:

Leave the stanchions on as you'll never be able to slide the rubber in, start at the middle and get one side of the "T" into the channel and using a blunt screwdriver press the other side in working out from the middle, not forgetting to get the rubber the right way round I.e. leaning towards the rear. let it settle and then get the securing plates fitted and then trim the ends to suit.

Stuart

That was pretty straightforward. Once I started it all came flooding back. 

Now for the top one, after a rest. I haven't done a top one before but think I'll try doing it the same as the bottom rather than sliding it in.

Both seals are Moss, the bottom one fitted nicely.

Edited by John McCormack
6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

That was pretty straightforward. Once I started it all came flooding back. 

Now for the top one, after a rest. I haven't done a top one before but think I'll try doing it the same as the bottom rather than sliding it in.

It is a Moss seal, this one fitted nicely.

You will have to fit it the same way for ease.

Stuart.