Condensate in Engine Oil

Hi Guys

Just seeking the opinion of the forum. 

Last December I changed the Engine and Filter. since then have not been able to take the car for a run, have started the engine on 3 occasions and run up to temp.

then shut down.

This week decided to drop the sump to change the gasket ( slight oil leak ) Lockdown idle hands etc. to discover the fresh oil emulsified with small amount of water.

There is no sign of oil in the coolant. My thinking is that it was caused by condensate from repeatedly starting a cold Engine.

Regards JohnR

That would be my take too John.  Running up to water temperature is not the same as running up to oil temperature.  Unless you get the oil hot then it can’t boil off the condensation.  And doing that in winter by not driving it will be difficult.

cheers

dave

Most likely. Don't forget that petrol engines produce water as a by-product of combustion John. The engine needs to be run for some considerable time at full temperature to evaporate off the water that accumulates during the warm-up process.  

Condensate, every start renews the heat and another cycle.

If you want to redistribute oil around the engine, plugs out, distributor disconnect, and turn over on battery until decent oil pressure tells you it’s around the engine.

Mick Richards