As most of the current threads on here seem to be on topics that have been discussed in minute details lots of times over the years can people please use the search facility first to get answers.

Stuart.

... and if the forum search facility doesn't work, try google with "TR register" in the search term - 

e.g. searching for 'TR register tr6 indicators '  will pull up more than 30 separate discussions on that topic.

To make it even more precise, you can add "site:www.tr-register.co.uk/forums" after your search term(s). Omit the quotation marks, and separate with a space. The search results handily show which forum each result comes from as well.

BTW, to Stuart's original point, I wonder if a moderator could pin a post to the top of every forum asking posters to search first?

John

Where is the fun in that !

it takes a lot of scrolling on my phone in some sections because of so many pinned threads, before you get to the fresh stuff. 

if no one repeated a subject request, there would be very little activity on here. 

it also shows what I have learnt from you guys. If EVEN I can answer the odd enquiry, because I’ve seen it before. there are nearly always new experiences, products or twists to add to the info pool.

May it long continue. 

but yes a quick search may answer that question in a timely manner when you have your head under the bonnet part way through a job.

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

BTW, to Stuart's original point, I wonder if a moderator could pin a post to the top of every forum asking posters to search first?

John

Thank you John that was the original point of my post, also some of the information to be found there comes from posters who are no longer with us for various and many reasons including many who had first hand experience of these cars when new and also there is information first hand and not vaguely rehashed in ways that often mislead.

Stuart.

Maybe, as i often struggle with the search function, we should have a guidance section at the head of the forums page?

A Dummies Guide on how to get the most out of the Forum content?

Iain

One for Wayne here

There used to be 'Tags' (maybe still there) that you could affix  to posts that may help to identify what/where etc when searching.  These were optional.

Could it become mandatory.

EG - if you are posting about a TR6 crank shaft Main bearing shells.

you could have   -

field 1   Model. so that would be TR5/6

Field 2 - Major item - Crank

Field 3 - Item - Main Bearing

That is a bit clunky but gives a starter.

If you do not fill in the boxes then you get nowhere. 

Roger

19 minutes ago, RogerH said:

One for Wayne here

There used to be 'Tags' (maybe still there) that you could affix  to posts that may help to identify what/where etc when searching.  These were optional.

Could it become mandatory.

EG - if you are posting about a TR6 crank shaft Main bearing shells.

you could have   -

field 1   Model. so that would be TR5/6

Field 2 - Major item - Crank

Field 3 - Item - Main Bearing

That is a bit clunky but gives a starter.

If you do not fill in the boxes then you get nowhere. 

Roger

That pre requisite didnt last long when it was introduced as it made it a real pain, its the search engine part that needs to be better.

Stuart.

Hi All. firstly I agree with all the comments. Secondly sometimes the less informed/confident of us likes to be reassured that since the last time a particular topic had been aired, there has not been a new view or part or whatever that has surfaced and not connected to previouse discussions on topic. I agree about the amount of dicussion will be drasticaly cut on the forum which is something I like to peruse as do many others I think. Just my 2penny worth.

Paul

My main gripe about the search box is the “Any of my words” or “All of my words” section.

The default is “Any of my words”

Example:

If I want to find something I’ve said in the past about steering, I would search for “Charlie steering”

If I forget to select “All of my words”, I end up getting every post that has ever been written with the word “Charlie” in it, plus every post that has ever been written with the word “Steering” in it. --- Not a lot of good.

I may be wrong, but I would guess most people want “All of my words”, so why not make it default.

I have noticed several people in the past querying why they were not getting the search results they were expecting and “Any/All” was the problem

Charlie

The Google search trick is the one to use if you want to find stuff on the forum unless you are pretty sure of what you are looking for.  For the uninitiated you type the following string in the Google search box with "Whatever" replaced by the term you are looking for.

"Whatever" site:http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
2 hours ago, stuart said:

there is information first hand and not vaguely rehashed in ways that often mislead

You're so right. I've often passed on what I think I've been told by a master, hoping I've not mis-remembered something even if it has worked for me. I'm a bit reluctant to reply "Google it" as that seems a bit rude, even though it may be the best advice! I do miss AP's contributions and DrMSB's, even though the latter were not on the forum. How to bottle knowledge and experience? Perhaps we need a "Stuart Says" forum, where we put all the really useful stuff? And no, I'm not poking fun!

John

Hi all,

whilst I understand Stuarts sentiments here, my view is that I would not be in favour of advising, or as below pinning the suggestion, to a new to our forum participant, 'Go do a search'

To me that is too unwelcoming, and that is not what we should be, and even if that is not waht was meant, it would be far too easily interpreted in that way.

I also think that, things do change, better ways to do things become available, or are in the depths of the old grey matter to be stirred by a question.

We want folk to find their first visit to our forum, welcoming, helpful and informative, and if a thread is started, then as many contributors as possible too get involved.

John.

I've been using forums and search facilities for years but I have to say I have never mastered this one's search facility. I've tried it a good number of times but failed each time. I'm also a career IT guy so well used to ensuring keywords are accurate.

I'm always surprised when someonee answers my post with a link to a previous post presumably via a search. I've often wondered how they did it.

So my plea is please can the search facility be improved to other forum standards (or teach me how to use it).

49 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

I've been using forums and search facilities for years but I have to say I have never mastered this one's search facility. I've tried it a good number of times but failed each time. I'm also a career IT guy so well used to ensuring keywords are accurate.

I'm always surprised when someonee answers my post with a link to a previous post presumably via a search. I've often wondered how they did it.

So my plea is please can the search facility be improved to other forum standards (or teach me how to use it).

+1 as I said earlier we need guidance to obtain the results we want/ need and know exist.

In my view, searching is good and discussion/questioning is good - there is plenty of room to let people use the approach they prefer.

..... Andy