TR5 clutch slave cylinder

Have just filled and bled the clutch for the first time and can’t get a seal at the slave union. Both master and slave units are my original reconditioned units from Past Parts. Flexible hose to union is sealed. The leak is between the pipe union and the slave. Unit was returned to me with a copper washer between the union and the cylinder. I have replaced the copper washer with an identical new one, and still leaks.

My question is would a fibre washer between the copper washer and cylinder be a safe option to try?

Many thanks,

Tim

Thanks Pete. I will investigate threads etc tomorrow. I don’t suppose you have a photo of the connections to the slave cylinder.

Thanks

Tim

Will do Bob.

Mine leaked in the same position and it was a missing copper washer, which M L-S failed to fit at the IWE at Lincoln
I have a small can of Heldtite  sealer in the tool box for problems like this.

Good luck Richard & B

Sorted! Having spoken to Past Parts and Goodridge both agreed that the male union between the hose and cylinder is too short and not making a seal in the housing of the cylinder.

Thanks to all for input.

Tim

IMG_6657s.thumb.JPG.a00b3849f9a4e1a40f79e2cf82c0a291.JPG

There are 2 different ways the hoses seal in cylinders. 1st way is to have a long union, which seals inside the cylinder on a cone shape.

2nd is a short union with a copper washer which seals on the surface of the cylinder. Your hose is the latter type, but does the cylinder have a flat surface to seal on.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Bob, the issue with option two is that there is not enough ‘meat’ on the hex face for a copper washer to form a seal against, the cylinder does have a flat surface around the thread.

The inside of the cylinder housing does have a cone onto which the union can seal. I am going to give this a try.

Many thanks,

Tim

... well the longer male union sealing into the base of the cylinder has done the job!
Now onto the brakes.

Tim