TR6 PI CAV Fuel Filter Size

On 1/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, c.hydes said:

Hi all, anyone know the CAV filter porosity in microns (ie um), for the GFE 5296/ Delphi 7111-296/HDF 296 filter element ?

Thanks, Colin

Hi Colin

The only information I could find out for my Delphi HDF296 filters is that they are 5-7 microns.

2 hours ago, c.hydes said:

OK thanks, that's quite fine. Do you know if it is classified as "high flow rate" suitable as a Bosch pump pre filter?

Colin.

Sorry Colin, I’ve no idea.

5 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

No problem, where in Dorset are you, lived on Poole for 48 years.

C/.

I’m in Poole. Devon is lovely though. When did you leave Poole?

On 1/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, c.hydes said:

Hi all, anyone know the CAV filter porosity in microns (ie um), for the GFE 5296/ Delphi 7111-296/HDF 296 filter element ?

Thanks, Colin

The CAV filter! There were 2 types one for petrol Lucas part number 54733180 and one for diesel. I do not know what the difference was? But I suspect that it was in the paper  filter element? I used the CAV filter for years but I had modified the pipework to 3/8" and used the larger filer head which also had larger pipe unions. In my view the original 1/4" bore pipe work is not big enough for a BOSCH pump and I believe this will shorten their life as it will not meet 5litres per minute at the pump, as required by BOSCH. 

Bruce.

33 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

The CAV filter! There were 2 types one for petrol Lucas part number 54733180 and one for diesel. I do not know what the difference was? But I suspect that it was in the paper  filter element? I used the CAV filter for years but I had modified the pipework to 3/8" and used the larger filer head which also had larger pipe unions. In my view the original 1/4" bore pipe work is not big enough for a BOSCH pump and I believe this will shorten their life as it will not meet 5litres per minute at the pump, as required by BOSCH. 

Bruce.

I  was told the difference between the two CAV filters was in the adhesives used to hold the paper element in place- that was years ago when I was offered a supply of surplus CAV diesel filters cheap.

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

I  was told the difference between the two CAV filters was in the adhesives used to hold the paper element in place- that was years ago when I was offered a supply of surplus CAV diesel filters cheap.

Did you take up the offer and use them. If so did they come apart?

Bruce.

8 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Did you take up the offer and use them. If so did they come apart?

Bruce.

No. I paid a bit extra to get a filter from an Australian company whose filters I've been buying since the late '60's called Ryco. The filter I use is a Ryco Ryco R2132P .