TR6 Gearstick thread size

Hi Peter,

there has been a big discussion on the TR3 forum about this precise thing. and there have been a dozen or so answers.

I checked my TR4A gearstick thread yesterday and it is 5/16" UNC  18 tpi. 

When you screw in your knob do you also have a lock nut underneath it to stop it unscrewing.

Roger

I had this problem and brought a brass 5/16" x 18 UNC hexagonal insert online. Drilled a larger round hole in the wooden gear knob and cemented into the hole with two part Epoxy. Also have the locknut underneath to orientate to the correct position.

C/

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Peter,

there has been a big discussion on the TR3 forum about this precise thing. and there have been a dozen or so answers.

I checked my TR4A gearstick thread yesterday and it is 5/16" UNC  18 tpi. 

When you screw in your knob do you also have a lock nut underneath it to stop it unscrewing.

Roger

Thanks Roger.  No I don't have a locking nut .... my tatty leather knob screws down tightly and stays put but not my wooden one.  

2 hours ago, harlequin said:

I had a similar thing with the wood gear knob on my 6. I fixed it by drilling and tapping the knob to take a small grub screw which locks it in place

George 

Good idea - thanks

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

I had this problem and brought a brass 5/16" x 18 UNC hexagonal insert online. Drilled a larger round hole in the wooden gear knob and cemented into the hole with two part Epoxy. Also have the locknut underneath to orientate to the correct position.

C/

This is the path I was thinking of .... and I will also add a locking nut.