Movement of Motorsport Vehicles Post-Brexit

This is the title of a page on the MotorsportUK website.  https://www.motorsportuk.org/movement-of-motorsport-vehicles-post-brexit/?fbclid=IwAR3hb4QEHQjXojZtWZaQdbm9TAX4PKi5cZCr5fdfH7dVqHffiAdUPd02JrA

It states that from now, any motorsport vehicle - presumably one not driven into Europe on the usual road taxation and insurance - will require:

- an ATA carnet, costing £240

- and either a deposit of 40% of the car's worth, or a insurance premium for that amount.   The premium may be a similar amount and is non-returnable.

This may be tenable for pro-teams but will be ruinous for amateurs who may go to compete abroad once a year!

I guess we’ll have a year of these sorts of stories whilst the systems are amended/developed whatever.

Mick Richards

5 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

I agree with you Mick, common sense will prevail, once the politics are out the way.

Mick

Hi Mick,

My dear old Mum used to say "God love em" when someone clearly did not have a clue and or was patently so wrong......... 

Don’t let anyone be in any doubt whatsoever that this will be one of a long, long list of things That Cummings did nor put on the side of Boris’s Bus...

Realistically, what basis do you have for thinking that common sense will magically prevail and why would politics ever go out of the way here?

Good gods, you guys are paranoids.   Obsessive.  I posted this as a warning to fellow motorsporters.  It IS a tiny oversight on the farce that is Brexit, but that wasn't what I had in mind.  Until you brought it up. Idiots.

Jihn

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Good gods, you guys are paranoids.   Obsessive.  I posted this as a warning to fellow motorsporters.  It IS a tiny oversight on the farce that is Brexit, but that wasn't what I had in mind.  Until you brought it up. Idiots.

Jihn

OOOoooowwwww Doctor...you are awful ! spinning a sprat to catch the unwary...Sorry Hamish, just Johns tease, he's lured you in.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
9 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

OOOoooowwwww Doctor...you are awful ! spinning a sprat to catch the unwary...Sorry Hamish, just Johns tease, he's lured you in.

Mick Richards

I’m happy to be caught on that barbed treble hook. 

and I stand by my polite thanks. 

10 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Jihn

as the man hurls insults of idiocy when he can’t spell his own name. 

still love you J0hn  :D  :ph34r:

Well that's my annual trip to Spa down the Swanee. It's already a very expensive race weekend which stretches my meagre budget to the extreme . If this isn't eradicated totally then it's beyond me. The end of visits to the most fantastic circuit ever.

The CSCC say that they are in discussions with the Belgian organisers of the Spa Summer Classic to try to resolve it. We shall see!

Dave McD

Hi MadMarx... just did a bit of research for you on another forum (no names but it’s the Lotus Elan lot):P....... They have put this positive slant on the situation for ‘you’/!

"on the bright side,it would leave the average continental racer better chances not to get lapped so many times......"

Does this help:blink:

This isn’t as bad as the doom mongers suggest.

If your race car is road registered and insured, you can get a green card for it. You’ll also need a green card for your tow car and your trailer too.

I discussed this with a-plan this afternoon and discovered that none of it will be difficult. Just needs to be done in plenty of time before travel.

David

Edited by david ferry
Got my name wrong!
22 hours ago, david ferry said:

This isn’t as bad as the doom mongers suggest.

If your race car is road registered and insured, you can get a green card for it. You’ll also need a green card for your tow car and your trailer too.

I discussed this with a-plan this afternoon and discovered that none of it will be difficult. Just needs to be done in plenty of time before travel.

David

That would be most sensible!   So why has MotorsportUK reacted like Corporal Jones?   "Don't panic chaps, but ....."

Could be an interesting experiment to Road register and insure a CanAm racer and go for a ride on the M25.

Edited by MadMarx

i think/hope that this will be sorted by the time the season starts or should i say if the season starts.

There are transport details being sorted out daily at the moment. Car movement being one of them.

CanAm on the M25 interesting.     Have used it to run in an engine.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

No word yet from MotorsportUK, but this from the AutoAddicts website:  http://www.autoaddicts.co.uk/brexit-rules-drive-race-europe/?fbclid=IwAR0tFzQlGTT_BeN3b-8ZA-wgWaTONeVYrC9zRH1VzPHtz5_SoJUaQ_pVWNE

"Towing a trailer 

Firstly if you are just driving on holiday or attending a race meeting in your own car, with a small bag of tools, you just need your V5 document, your driving licence and the green card.

If you are also transporting a quantity of spare tyres / wheels/ replacement body parts/ and other car spares you WILL also need to complete a temporary admission form: {See below)  It could potentially involve having to pay a customs clearance agent to complete and the possible need to lodge a deposit wit customs.  Ideally contact the relevant embassy in London to see what their temporary import procedure is.

If you are towing your own trailer you also need a Green card for the trailer and if it is plated as under 3500 kg you WONT need to register it. However it must be insured and you must get a Green card to prove this.

If your personal trailer is plated to carry 3500 kgs or you are transporting cars for others commercially you WILL need to register your trailer to drive into Europe. It costs just £26 and all our closest neighbours (France, Belgium and the Netherlands) are all on the list. You will also need to ensure your tow vehicle is plated to tow 3500 kgs to avoid any penalties."

Some car transporting trailers will be over the 3500kg gross trailer weight limit and will need to be registered: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trailer-registration

Temporary admission: https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-uk-temporarily/duplicate-list

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Still hopeful here that things will be sorted soon.

Many of us are still hoping that by SPA we  will be able to come over.

At the moment NO racing is taking place, and the risks would have to be reduced/eradicated before i am prepared to mix.

Test day and first race weekend for CSCC is March.   Still in doubt i believe .

Roy