TR6 Steering rack- refurbish

Hi Guys,

Having now pretty well completed the restoration of my 4A, just need to fit new tyres, so therefore put the covers on until Covid eases in the Spring (hopefully) when I will be vaccinated and feel more comfortable going to the tyre fitter. 

I need now to do a few jobs on my TR6.

First job is to replace the passenger side bush in the rack which  was an observation at my last MOT. 

Question: I also have a LH rack which I have stripped and all seems very good, no appreciable wear in the rack bar  or ball ends. Looking at the rack bar I assume that the LH and RH rack bars  are identical, only one part number in Moss catalogue,  it's the pinion that is not the same, different drive angle. So is there any reason why I cannot use a LH rack bar in a RH steering rack such that  the pinion would be operating on a  totally unworn section of the rack bar should the RH rack bar turn out to be worn?

Any comments appreciated.

Rich

Good solution.

the worn rack tube bush may still need replacing.  Do not forget to fully lubricate the entire rack once rebuilt.   I favour semi fluid grease or steering box oil.  The factory said ep90.  Many go the multipurpose grease route, as recommended for servicing.

Peter W