3 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

Hi, Do you have any experience of this company.?Are the ladders as good as they claim. We are tempted by the 3 section extending ladder 6.26m at £165.00. I have spoken to them and it seems to be good quality but there a lot of 1 star reviews mostly about delivery and damage.. There are a lot of positive reviews also. I really need someone with actual experience.

Thanks so far. Richard & B

Think you will find a and e are very busy, don’t even think about it 

3 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

My son recently had a satellite dish fitted at his house. The fitter bolted a permanent anchor point to the wall at ground level and attached the base of the ladder to it prior to starting work. 
His employers don’t allow the use of a ladder without an anchor even if footed by a second person. 

Sky also done this at my house to climb a single story to flat roof! I would seriously consider placing permanent anchor points around the house if you were intending to carry out this task regularly and buy a normal ladder +  fit leaf guards  

When I was a GPO apprentice part of the first year’s training course involved climbing up a telegraph pole, attaching a safety belt around the pole, then leaning out backwards at about 45 degrees with your arms outstretched above your head.

About 50% of the kids doing it were terrified and refused to let go of the pole. They just stood on the top of the ladder hugging the pole as tight as possible. The instructors would then throw the contents of their tool bags (Hammers, screwdrivers and pliers etc) at the kid’s hands to make them let go.

Proper teaching in those days. (1960's)

They did take health and safety seriously though.
If ever a new pole was erected close to metal railings the apprentice was given a hacksaw to cut off any spikes on the top of the railings nearby. You can still spot places where this had been done.
Something to look out for on your lockdown walks.

Charlie

Edited by Charlie D
15 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

My son recently had a satellite dish fitted at his house. The fitter bolted a permanent anchor point to the wall at ground level and attached the base of the ladder to it prior to starting work. 
His employers don’t allow the use of a ladder without an anchor even if footed by a second person. 

ditto just had the same.

it's just a rawplug with a neat cap over when not used

I know this isn't the 'screwed into the wall' solution which others have recommended (any good quality large metal type rawlplug anchor point would do that I would have thought), but this looks a good product - The Ladder Base Anchor - Titan Ladders - https://www.titanladders.co.uk/product/the-ladder-base-anchor/

I have no experience using this, just found it via a web search...

I don't think that the Titan device is as good as my Stopper from Rojak (see photos on previous page).  Rojak also have a couple of other very clever and simple offerings for securing the base of a ladder.

Ian Cornish

These are good for stabilisation

https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/ankalad-ladder-stabiliser.html

Very good as they triangulate the hole thing................... but please, as my son keeps telling me don't do anything that might result in  an unnecessary hospital admission. They are pushed enough as it is.

Iain

20 hours ago, Tim T said:

I used to use the Zarges combination ladders when in the exhibition industry and they were excellent. Quite expensive but classed as Industrial. The only small issue is that when using them as a freestanding ladder and standing beyond the apex of the support elements it does feel as if you are flying! Picture shows ladder at a working height of 5+ metres

Atb

Tim

IMG_5277.thumb.JPG.6578d19deb89d2272b40418c5d25f3c4.JPG

5m to the walkway platform or true floor :wacko:

nice life boat. 

Hamish - 5 metres to the walkway. 
Lizard RNLI FYI.

Tim