Hard Top Fitting

Sorry should know this but it was 40 years ago that I brought BUO home for the first time with the hard top fitted, I subsequently removed it and never felt the need to refit it until now as the house move looms. So when fitting the hard top do I need to drill out the pop rivets holding the soft top to the rear deck or does the hard top fit over the soft to.

TIA 

11 minutes ago, Graham said:

Sorry should know this but it was 40 years ago that I brought BUO home for the first time with the hard top fitted, I subsequently removed it and never felt the need to refit it until now as the house move looms. So when fitting the hard top do I need to drill out the pop rivets holding the soft top to the rear deck or does the hard top fit over the soft to.

TIA 

The soft top isnt riveted to the rear deck, the rear hood fixing plate is bolted down with 7/16" UNF spanner sized bolts 5 of just undo them then the rear of the hood can be allowed to fold in with the hood and the hardtop then fitted. I should know I fitted it,

Stuart.

37 minutes ago, stuart said:

The soft top isnt riveted to the rear deck, the rear hood fixing plate is bolted down with 7/16" UNF spanner sized bolts 5 of just undo them then the rear of the hood can be allowed to fold in with the hood and the hardtop then fitted. I should know I fitted it,

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart happy new year to you 

I also have a hardtop (under restoration atm) - can the hardtop be fitted with the softtop & frame still on the car. If so what do you about the side fixings to B post?

Alan 

7 minutes ago, super6al said:

I also have a hardtop (under restoration atm) - can the hardtop be fitted with the softtop & frame still on the car. If so what do you about the side fixings to B post?

Alan 

Yes and Triumph made a hood bag cum 1/4tonneau cover specifically to enclose the still attached soft top and frame when the hard top was fitted.  Does not leave a lot of space behind the seats though.
Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
35 minutes ago, lee said:

TBH you might as well take the hood off for the sake of two screws 

But to transport the soft top in the car saves a lot of wrapping to protect it from the movers.

Peter W