Sucker to Blower Fan

Hi,

Reinstated the engine fan but want to keep the back up of an electric fan too. I have the full Revotec sucker fan kit but need to change only the fan to blow mode. The blade is not reversible. Any ideas or suggestions to getting just the blade? Seems most sell the whole kit or part kit, but not just the blade.

Thanks 

Colin

Hi Colin,

I may be talking rubbish here - but if you reverse the polarity of the motor (+ to -  &  - to +) doesn't the motor then blow

It may be more efficient one way than the other due to blade shape but should still work - or maybe not.

If you can't reverse the polarity then with the whole fan assembly in front of the rad can you mount it so that it is still sucking - it may need to stand away from the core due to motor depth etc.

Roger

For the better makes of fan the blades are asymmetric which means they will not work efficiently in the reverse direction.  

Tim

On 1/9/2021 at 4:18 PM, sixtynine said:

I'd go with a Spal also, quality and not made in RED china.

Wearing a mods hat, and having ran this past other mods, whilst it is fine to make a recommendation, the RED China part is unnecessary, and the implication inaccurate.

Truth is china is quite capable of manufacturing top quality items, if the buyer is prepared to pay, and this forums ethos, is about help and support whilst being nice to each other.

Time we are experiencing at the moment, we would all do well to remember that.

Stay safe and well.

John.

10 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Wearing a mods hat, and having ran this past other mods, whilst it is fine to make a recommendation, the RED China part is unnecessary, and the implication inaccurate.

Truth is china is quite capable of manufacturing top quality items, if the buyer is prepared to pay, and this forums ethos, is about help and support whilst being nice to each other.

Time we are experiencing at the moment, we would all do well to remember that.

Stay safe and well.

John.

Hi John,

why have you highlighted a simple throw away line that most people couldn't give a monkies about.

I thought he was talking about terracotta pots

Roger

Well actually John, the "red China" bit is entirely accurate. They are indeed still communists and if you read the post carefully there is no implication about poor quality from them.  The wording clearly reads that Spal produce quality goods which are not made in communist China. What exactly is wrong with that statement?  

It would appear that any implication about the quality of Chinese goods is entirely due to mis-interpretation of what was written. 

On 1/9/2021 at 4:18 PM, sixtynine said:

I'd go with a Spal also, quality and not made in RED china.

Hi Rob,

to be fair the PO does state RED China.  

Now that term probably died when Moa popped his clogs. But as you state any communist state is referred to as RED.

The PRC is indeed profoundly communist and so they are RED by association.

Roger

12 minutes ago, RogerH said:

that term probably died when Mao popped his clogs

I still use it... but then I still call him "Tse-Tung" and use "Peking", "Bombay" and "wireless" too ! :rolleyes:

Edited by RobH

I'm with John on this. If there's a specific supplier one of us has had a problem with, by all means call them out. But let's not tar an entire country with the same brush. That smacks of politics (and prejudice) to me, and it's inaccurate to boot. Perhaps we can shift the opinions to Alec's Inn?

I'm reaching for another glass of wine. Not Chinese (I am genuinely unaware of any Chinese wine that's not rubbish, BTW) but cheap Australian :D

Cheers,

John

I have asked Revotec and they will only supply a complete fan assembly. Apparently they are all fully balanced so they just can’t supply the fan blade. Sounds like a load of bullshine to me. I wouldn’t mind so much if they didn’t want £120 + shipping for a replacement fan assembly! Remember I am reusing all other parts including mounting brackets etc.

I am going to try Roger’s suggestion of reversing the motor and see how well it blows as it is only a supplement to the mechanical fan. The mechanical fan, in theory, should provide adequate cooling in the UK anyway.

Colin

9 hours ago, colin3511 said:

I have asked Revotec and they will only supply a complete fan assembly. Apparently they are all fully balanced so they just can’t supply the fan blade. Sounds like a load of bullshine to me. I wouldn’t mind so much if they didn’t want £120 + shipping for a replacement fan assembly! Remember I am reusing all other parts including mounting brackets etc.

I am going to try Roger’s suggestion of reversing the motor and see how well it blows as it is only a supplement to the mechanical fan. The mechanical fan, in theory, should provide adequate cooling in the UK anyway.

Colin

My mechanical fan provides adequate cooling during Australian summers, but I don't use the car much these days when the temperature is above 40 degrees Centigrade. But ,then again, I don't use my car where I could get stuck in traffic jams.

Edited by Mike C
14 hours ago, Mike C said:

My mechanical fan provides adequate cooling during Australian summers, but I don't use the car much these days when the temperature is above 40 degrees Centigrade. But ,then again, I don't use my car where I could get stuck in traffic jams.

I use my car in London Traffic and my 40+ year old Kenlow Fan comes on even in 20C temperatures, but I have removed the plastic fan long ago! The temperature gauge needle soon drops back to the mid position as soon as I start to move at 20mph and above.

Bruce

On 1/12/2021 at 11:40 PM, RogerH said:

Hi John,

why have you highlighted a simple throw away line that most people couldn't give a monkies about.

I thought he was talking about terracotta pots

Roger

Because of me.

I expect I'm biased because my wife is of Chinese ethnicity (but not PRC born) and I think my Kiwi multicultural background views these things differently... but I personally find the recurrent negative assessment of Chinese made products on this forum borders on racism.  It's analagous to how people used to view Japan and Taiwan in the 80s/90s who are now desirable engineers and the criticism then was essentially unfounded racism and protectionism.  If you want a modern car to last more than 10 years today you buy Japanese or Korean, not European.  The particular comment of "RED China" pushed my buttons more than normal as I think highlighting the politics is completely irrelevant to the quality.  I acknowledge that in isolation this may be unclear, but I thank the moderators for supporting the observation.

China is a manufacturing behemoth and basically manufacture most of what we consume in modern society.  The political reasons behind that are complex and IMHO irrelevant to discussions about a classic car, except for where to buy from.  I do not personally support the party's politics and would support avoidance of purchasing PRC  manufactured items as a political statement but I think we should be careful to distinguish that from what becomes a more racist rationale.  If we tar all European ethnicities with politics we associate all Europeans with the political actions of Trump and Boris.  I would argue that the majority of international European ethnicities would resent that.

China as a nation will manufacture whatever you want and to the price point you are prepared to pay for.  As the old saying goes: "You can have it good, cheap or fast; pick any 2".  If we continually buy cheap, the suppliers who we purchase from will supply cheap.  If we are prepared to pay for better quality, they will procure them.  It is not the Chinese who decide what we want to pay, it's whether we are prepared to pay for them.  The Apple equipment from China is high grade and priced accordingly (or maybe even more so).  The irony I see is that we celebrate cars famous poor British production quality and work ethic despite sound engineering.

We have an incredibly calm, inclusive, pleasant and typically welcoming forum here.  Compared with other forums I follow it is a breath of fresh air.  It's supportive and typically reasoned but at times some people are rather loose about stereotypes.  I am in no way a millennial snowflake but I do see at times some loose prejudices aired and we would do well to remember to consider how we phrase things.

Rant over

Matt

On 1/13/2021 at 1:19 AM, JohnC said:

I'm with John on this. If there's a specific supplier one of us has had a problem with, by all means call them out. But let's not tar an entire country with the same brush. That smacks of politics (and prejudice) to me, and it's inaccurate to boot. Perhaps we can shift the opinions to Alec's Inn?

I'm reaching for another glass of wine. Not Chinese (I am genuinely unaware of any Chinese wine that's not rubbish, BTW) but cheap Australian :D

Cheers,

John

Thank you.

Of course it pains me to admit that Aussie wine is "adequate" but I must admit it's vaguely tolerable! Will also admit that China currently have not expanded their manufacturing skill set to include wine :)

3 hours ago, matttnz said:

Thank you.

Of course it pains me to admit that Aussie wine is "adequate" but I must admit it's vaguely tolerable! Will also admit that China currently have not expanded their manufacturing skill set to include wine :)

And China's boycotted Australian lobsters, sending the price plummeting- I had two over Christmas.

3 hours ago, Mike C said:

And China's boycotted Australian lobsters, sending the price plummeting- I had two over Christmas.

There has indeed been a silver lining to China teaching us a lesson not to criticise them :P. And there's even been a silver lining to COVID lockdowns: I live in the Northern Beaches in Sydney, and nobody was allowed to share "our" beaches over Christmas :lol:.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:01 PM, Andy Moltu said:

TBH the fan simply won’t come on if you have the standard fan in the UK unless you set the ‘stat very low.

I would not agree with that? My fan comes on a lot in our English Summers when I am creeping along in London traffic! Mine is set to come on at the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge.

Bruce.

4 hours ago, silverfox4 said:

that was no rant - it was an unnecessary political self- righteous lecture

...which didn't insult anyone. Unlike your response.. Thank you Matt for your well-made points. I still think this should be taken to Alec's Inn. Even better if we all stay with the times and stop making references others will find offensive. 60 yr-old millennial snowflake here.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Tested the fan in both directions and it appears there is little difference in flow from sucking or blowing. The fan blades are relatively simple in design so it makes sense you could reverse the motor direction. As it will only be a back up for the mechanical fan it will be fine. Now installed there is considerable air flow through the radiator.

Thanks Roger H for the idea. Never even crossed my mind!

Colin