Orders from UK to Europe

23 hours ago, rcreweread said:

I think there is a lot of misinformation circulating about this issue - I arranged to send a crate to Belgium with a gearbox in it just before Christmas - it was picked up in the West Midlands on Friday 18th December by TNT and naturally I was extremely worried as to what would happen and how long it would take, because at that point we still did not have an agreement with the EU. All  the media coverage was saying that there was chaos at the Channel ports and total mayhem.

You can imagine my surprise when it arrived at it's destination in Belgium on Wednesday 23 Dec by 10.00am! 

In my experience, it's not all doom and gloom. I've been using on line purchasing a lot and Amazon and Hermes seem able to deliver stuff next day. I ordered some parts off ebay which were only at Stansted, just over 30 miles away, but they were sent by Royal Mail - took 8 days to be delivered. I also ordered some parts off ebay from India ( under £25 worth) and wasn't sure what to expect - how long would it take, whether there would be any import duties ete etc? Well , it arrived on the 8th January - no extra duties required, no declarations, just dropped off - draw your own conclusions

Cheers Rich

Richard

Key point here is pre 1 January, I had many packages arrive, no issue pre Jan 1st, anything post Jan 1st for me is either returned or stuck in transit or customs.

Richard

15 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Richard,

there are a couple of other EU suppliers here in Holland.

Loco Classic parts sell the Moss items mainly but are more expensive.

https://lococlassics.nl/

Nico Baas sells TR parts too, sometimes at reasonable prices. https://triumphcentre.nl/

There are others too, but more expensive.

Give them a call to see if the ship to you.

Waldi

Hi Waldi

There is a store in Mechelen (lovely town by the way!) but their website is a bit clunky, have you used them?

Richard

6 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi Waldi

There is a store in Mechelen (lovely town by the way!) but their website is a bit clunky, have you used them?

Richard

Hi Richard,

no I have not, but looked it up, I assume you mean Angloparts?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tr parts mechelen

They are based in Holland as well (Mechelen (Malines in French) is located in Belgium, according to some part of Holland :) or vice versa.

Angloparts are long established but in the past very expensive, not sure how this is today.

Cheers,

Waldi

47 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

Just received one of my Moss Deliveries which was stuck in customs and I had to pay to TNT an additional £5 to the £22 order.   

You were lucky it was only a fiver, I had €30 added to an order from the US in Oct. €11 VAT plus €15 (plus €3 VAT) administration charge on a $40 order....

Anything coming into Ireland over €22 including shipping is charged VAT and then over €150 VAT plus duty, for small orders it's the admin charge that's driving up the cost.

Up to only recently there was never an issue with low value items, now the gurriers are trying to bleed every last drop out of us.

4 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Yep, we're not the only ones 'taking back control of our borders'.:unsure:. Wait until (or if) the Summer holiday season starts if you want to see true chaos.

I can't see any reciprocal action happening any time soon, its took us best part of a year to request something as essential as a Covid test before Uk entry. 

Super6al,

Even you don't seem to get it!    This rule has been in force for years, and while we were in the EU was part of the control of 'our' borders!    It has not changed, the EU has done nothing to 'take control', but is merely applying a rule it always has; revised 2019, previous version in force 2006 (IIRC).      It applies to non-EU countries, and while we were in the EU we could ignore it.     We are no longer and the EU has every right to apply it to UK residents coming into their territory,  but the rule is nothing new  .

Hi SuperSal

Not any kind of ¨reciprocal action, its that UK is classed as 3rd world or something like that now, meaning outside of EU.  So if I order parts from the US or Canada it goes through the same customs and tax issues, its nothing personal from the Danish state, just UK is now treated as any other non-EU country.  I rang Moss today and they asked me to send them the costs etc as a major part of their business is export and their guy on the line seemed a bit concerned.

Also I checked buying from Moss Paris ´where as its EU to EU there is no trade issues and I dont know what exchange rate they use, but a rocker shaft in UK is £28 and the exact same from Moss.fr was almost £38!!

Richard

On 1/11/2021 at 6:00 PM, Waldi said:

Hi Richard,

no I have not, but looked it up, I assume you mean Angloparts?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tr parts mechelen

They are based in Holland as well (Mechelen (Malines in French) is located in Belgium, according to some part of Holland :) or vice versa.

Angloparts are long established but in the past very expensive, not sure how this is today.

Cheers,

Waldi

Hi Waldi

Are there any other good part suppliers in EU land  - its all originally made in China anyway right?!  I think ordering from UK suppliers is not the way forward.

Richard

Edited by AarhusTr6
5 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Super6al,

Even you don't seem to get it!    This rule has been in force for years, and while we were in the EU was part of the control of 'our' borders!    It has not changed, the EU has done nothing to 'take control', but is merely applying a rule it always has; revised 2019, previous version in force 2006 (IIRC).      It applies to non-EU countries, and while we were in the EU we could ignore it.     We are no longer and the EU has every right to apply it to UK residents coming into their territory,  but the rule is nothing new  .

Hi John

My post was an attempt at sarcasm - I agree with your comments - my point is the Uk cannot have its own import/export controls & not expect the EU to do the same.

The outcome will be delays, added bureaucracy & cost, as appears to be the case with Richards original post. It may well be teething problems & things may ease eventually, although personally I wouldn't bet on costs reducing.  

Alan 

23 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

Just received one of my Moss Deliveries which was stuck in customs and I had to pay to TNT an additional £5 to the £22 order.   

I have been waiting to see if the old Demurrage Charges would start to be applied. HM Customs and the UK Post office here were very good at charging and of course it incurred VAT as well.

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, another anecdotal piece of information. I shipped my distributor from France to Distributor Doctor in the UK for rebuilding the second week of January via UPS. Today I learned that UPS in the UK has lost it, and I'm SOL. I don't know if it is linked to the border chaos, but here it is for your consideration.

1 hour ago, BlairP said:

FYI, another anecdotal piece of information. I shipped my distributor from France to Distributor Doctor in the UK for rebuilding the second week of January via UPS. Today I learned that UPS in the UK has lost it, and I'm SOL. I don't know if it is linked to the border chaos, but here it is for your consideration.

Then if you insured it properly you will get reimbursed, thats UPS not Brexit.

Stuart.

7 minutes ago, stuart said:

Then if you insured it properly you will get reimbursed, thats UPS not Brexit.

Stuart.

So Stuart, no . . I have stuff simply 'lost' on the border, the freighters say its because of the mounting backlogs at customs etc.  This was from UPS & DHL.

Richard