Vehicle Lift for TR 6?

5 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Having perhaps bought the last Strongman lift before they ran out of stock I suspect I have the most recent model.

To me you could easily narrow it but you would have to reduce the width of not only the flat plate (known as the torsion bar on their part manifest) and also the cross strut at the front that keeps the ramps parallel.

Should be a simple case of cutting and rewelding. 

Tim

Ahh , it was you !! 

Every where seems to be out of stock at the moment . 

Thanks for confirming what i thought was possible . Apparently (please correct me if wrong ) the cross strut at the front is an extra that comes with the mobility pack for another £180.   Does this just bolt into the frame ?  If so then could it be easily shortened from each end to keep the towbar in the middle ? 

Having now looked into these ramps (somewhat obsessively) i think the strongman is maybe the one of the better models although they all look v similar and all seem to be made in China .    

Dave 

12 hours ago, mtrehy said:

The platforms in the scissor lift in my post could be put whatever distance apart you like. You would h ave to get a local hydraulic place to remake a couple of hoses if you went too extreme

Hi,

Sorry , looked at your previous posts but unsure which lift you have .   Link sent me to GEG site and their platinum lift which looks v good but doesnt look adjustable .  .

Could you resend me a link or just model name please .  

Thanks Dave 

1 hour ago, Trumpy said:

Ahh , it was you !! 

Every where seems to be out of stock at the moment . 

Thanks for confirming what i thought was possible . Apparently (please correct me if wrong ) the cross strut at the front is an extra that comes with the mobility pack for another £180.   Does this just bolt into the frame ?  If so then could it be easily shortened from each end to keep the towbar in the middle ? 

Having now looked into these ramps (somewhat obsessively) i think the strongman is maybe the one of the better models although they all look v similar and all seem to be made in China .    

Dave 

Sorry Dave!

Could be that the crosspiece comes with the mobility pack. I have the pack, so makes sense. As delivered the whole thing is very heavy. Just about managed it with an engine crane. 

Tim

57 minutes ago, Trumpy said:

Hi,

Sorry , looked at your previous posts but unsure which lift you have .   Link sent me to GEG site and their platinum lift which looks v good but doesnt look adjustable .  .

Could you resend me a link or just model name please .  

Thanks Dave 

https://geg.co/product/eurotek-fhs3-scissor-lift/?v=79cba1185463

Eurotek FHS3

8 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Having perhaps bought the last Strongman lift before they ran out of stock I suspect I have the most recent model.

To me you could easily narrow it but you would have to reduce the width of not only the flat plate (known as the torsion bar on their part manifest) and also the cross strut at the front that keeps the ramps parallel.

Should be a simple case of cutting and rewelding. 

Tim

Don't know which Strongman Lift you are looking at, but I have the Glenfinnan Four Poster, it is basically a scaled down full 3,2 Ton, mechanics lift, and has served me well for over a decade now.

Of the two ramps, the one that carries the ram is bolted and needs to stay put, the other ram, has no cables or hydraulics and although bolted to the front and rear crossmembers, can be relocated inboard or indeed outboard, by several inches to accomodate much narrower or wider cars than our TR's.

I confirmed this with, folks of the Strongman tools site at the NEC in 2019, I asked because the ramps as designed can make sill work a bit awkward.

John.

Hi Dave, Here is a picture of my 4 post ramp. As you can see it is handy for storing another car underneath. I have about 6 plastic drip trays fitted across the ramp in case the Tr5 drips any oil:D. It just about fits in a standard size garage although I took the up and over dorr off to fit car on top and fitted an electric roll up door.

Paul

ramp.jpg

Edited by Harbottle

I found a lift at GEG who offered a 20% discount and next day delivery . 
impatience took hold so here it is . 

I was a bit alarmed to see the door gaps open up though when the car was in the air !  Is this normal ? 
I lifted from the chassis just behind the front wheels ( with a cross beam)  and just in front of the rears . 

D7C1DA2F-9F7D-4DE4-9C2E-18029794150F.thumb.jpeg.5603c24422e3bcb3ecb5cd22bf0e7a0c.jpeg

Yeah, the IRS chassis cars unless on an absolutely perfect chassis do tend to open up on the door openings when lifted, doesn't look that excessive though.

Mick Richards  

Phew ! Not only mine then . Drivers side was only slight but passenger side v noticeable and the door jammed . 
At least it returned to normal once on the deck again . 
The front lift point still has most of the engine weight and suspension/ wheels beyond it .
if I lock the end hinged ramps up I can move the lift point forwards and try again . 
Dave 

I have a new chassis on my 6 and same things happens.  
tim

It's clear by just looking at a plan view of an IRS TR's chassis that it is much less stiff than that of the TR2-TR4 (not that those are stiff), but, by golly,  I never realised that the rear wheels on IRS TRs could adopt such a terrible angle of dangle!

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to GEG (lift supplier) who has confirmed that the loading ramps are ok to use as lifting points when in the raised position. This has allowed me to  move the  cross beams apart by about 14” , . Car now lifts with no noticeable chassis flex . 

Much happier :D

Has anyone seen a scissor lift narrow enough to pick up the front of the chassis without a cross-beam? I’d like to be able to drop the sump and work on the bottom end, and I can’t see how that’s possible with a cross-beam. Or is it?

John

On mine the cross beam is well behind the sump.  So should be no issue. 
tim

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Has anyone seen a scissor lift narrow enough to pick up the front of the chassis without a cross-beam? I’d like to be able to drop the sump and work on the bottom end, and I can’t see how that’s possible with a cross-beam. Or is it?

John

2 hours ago, Tim D. said:

On mine the cross beam is well behind the sump.  So should be no issue. 
tim

Just stumbled upon a picture of Tims he was kind enough to forward to me about 6 years ago, as you can see excellent forward access to the underneath of the engine and gearbox and all the way down to the back of the vehicle and the diff. The 820mm working space between ramps allows unfettered access there, and if the crossmember is positioned in an inconvenient place the car can be moved forward or backwards or the crossmember repositioned to give the access you require. When you combine this with the full access to each corner where the wheels are it's a pretty comprehensive access package for the lift.

DSCF4471-1280.thumb.jpg.8e5f90fa2787d73a7cb8be5def07d172.jpg

The seperate ramps allow all this and have the hydraulic lift cylinders and scissor mechanisums contained underneath each ramp which allows them to lift almost perfectly vertically. There are some cheaper scissor lifts offered which only use a centrally positioned ram and hydraulics and the access there within the ramps is much more restricted.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

That's reassuring. I had a crawl around and assumed the cross beam had to be as far forward as possible (i.e., just behind the front wheels), which is under the sump. I've found a slightly narrower lift (800mm btw platforms) which me be a tiny bit better. My idea, obviously, would be to have platforms close enough to obviate the need for a cross-beam.

John

Edited by JohnC

"My idea, obviously, would be to have platforms close enough to obviate the need for a cross-beam."

Hmmmmm, 800 as against 820mm is indeed a "tiny" bit less inbetween the ramps and would it be worth the compromise ? maybe a constraint too far. As you can see, to actually get the ramps under the chassis may require about 300mm ? taking out of the working width down the car to allow the narrower section of the chassis to make the ramps...even if allowed to locate right upon the ramp side dimension. That in itself restricts getting to anything down the centre and removing or adding components there. 

Maybe a compromise too far ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
2 hours ago, JohnC said:

That's reassuring. I had a crawl around and assumed the cross beam had to be as far forward as possible (i.e., just behind the front wheels), which is under the sump. I've found a slightly narrower lift (800mm btw platforms) which me be a tiny bit better. My idea, obviously, would be to have platforms close enough to obviate the need for a cross-beam.

John

I was trying to achieve exactly the same with ramp widths . 
The Strongman lift has only one plate connecting the two ramps which bolts between them . I think this could easily be shortened to provide what ever width you require. 
However I have now bought a lift with wider ramps and use cross beams which allow me to lift nearer the front / rear and avoid chassis flex when the car is in the air  , also move lifting points forward and aft as required. 

That doesn't look a scissor lift that has 820mm between the ramps. ?

Mick Richards

12 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

That doesn't look a scissor lift that has 820mm between the ramps. ?

Mick Richards

I can't remember but you could put them wherever you wanted. Only thing that connects each ramp is hydraulic hose so completely up to the purchaser.