Hi all, Engine rebuild time, I'm using the the original pistons and liners, all within tolerance with new rings. I marked all the liners to match the pistons and also the way they faced but I seem to remember someone suggesting that it is better to turn them 90 degrees if so what are the pluses and minuses of this ?

Regards

Ron

As Roger says the wear mostly occurs on 1 face ( the piston thrust face) leaving a “ lip” on top of that bore side. You can get extra life by rotating the liner 90 deg. If you can see or feel a lip ( about 4 thou is not unusual) you’ll need to remove it or fit what is called a “ridge dodger top ring” to avoid the ridge which may break the ring.

if you have a top ring set already in standard configuration., in the past I’ve hand ground a 45 deg angle on the top edge ( you only need to come down about 10 thou from the top edge) which still allows full compression, and the engine did well over 70k in use ( then the wife wrote a Larda off with the TR) .

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey