Hayg repro of Bosch fuel pump - don't bother!

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my experience with a Hayg equivalent to a Bosch fuel pump. In a word, don't! I bought a Hayg 0 580 254 984 (same specs as -909 but with a check valve on the HP side). Same part number as Bosch, and indeed their website says "We sell OEM Spec. Bosch Equivalent Fuel Pumps for an Affordable Price". I paid AUD 115 / USD 90 / GBP 65 for it.

No problem with what's supplied - electrical connectors, nuts & lock washers (well, OK, one nut was the wrong size...), rubber boots, fibre washers. Problem was fuel pressure. I have my PRV set to 100psi using the predecessor, a Bosch -909. The Hayg developed 90-95 static with just ignition on. While cranking that dropped to 85-90. At idle (~750RPM) the voltage clearly wasn't high enough and pressure was back in the 90-95 range. With revs at ~2000RPM the pressure settled at 95psi. I didn't take it for a test drive.

For reference, the -909 I was replacing (it had jammed, but is happily back with us) sits happily at 100psi with the occasional dip just below (WOT, 5000+RPM). I have now put back in a Bosch -984 which is performing at just under 105psi. No load, cranking, WOT, all the same. And it was first installed by Enginuity (hope they're still around - great guys) in about 1990.

I guess I've proved, yet again, that you get what you pay for.

John

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my experience with a Hayg equivalent to a Bosch fuel pump. In a word, don't! I bought a Hayg 0 580 254 984 (same specs as -909 but with a check valve on the HP side). Same part number as Bosch, and indeed their website says "We sell OEM Spec. Bosch Equivalent Fuel Pumps for an Affordable Price". I paid AUD 115 / USD 90 / GBP 65 for it.

No problem with what's supplied - electrical connectors, nuts & lock washers (well, OK, one nut was the wrong size...), rubber boots, fibre washers. Problem was fuel pressure. I have my PRV set to 100psi using the predecessor, a Bosch -909. The Hayg developed 90-95 static with just ignition on. While cranking that dropped to 85-90. At idle (~750RPM) the voltage clearly wasn't high enough and pressure was back in the 90-95 range. With revs at ~2000RPM the pressure settled at 95psi. I didn't take it for a test drive.

For reference, the -909 I was replacing (it had jammed, but is happily back with us) sits happily at 100psi with the occasional dip just below (WOT, 5000+RPM). I have now put back in a Bosch -984 which is performing at just under 105psi. No load, cranking, WOT, all the same. And it was first installed by Enginuity (hope they're still around - great guys) in about 1990.

I guess I've proved, yet again, that you get what you pay for.

John

Hi John!

Yes Enginuity are still around and yes they are as busy as ever. I saw Jerry the Co-owner only just before Christmas. Their workshop was full.

Bruce.