Help needed - what is it, where is it and does anyone know anything of its history?

Questions have been asked from Australia about the car in the pictures below.

It's being described as a fibre glass bodied TR3, that was towed to race tracks by a TR6.

It seems to have a UK Q-reg, which may mean that it's of unknown age, or it's a kit car of some description.

I'm aware that there are kit car copies of the TR3 and TR3a being made.

If anyone can shed any light about this car or its history, I'll pass it back to the interested party in Australia.

Thanks

David

Fibreglass bodied TR3a.jpg

Fibreglass bodied TR3a 2.jpg

The DVLA lists it as a "Kench/TR" , built in 1987 and with a 1275cc engine.     So it's clearly a 'bitsa' car, constructed from parts, but someone else must explain  what Kench means.

Yes, there was a company making fibreglass replicas of a TR3 on a spaceframe, there was one at the IWE a few years ago, it was for sale around £13k from memory. I think it was one of these http://www.replicatorsportscars.co.uk/

Here is a 3A replica based on a Spitfire http://www.sovereigncarsales.co.uk/Replicas_gridpos12.aspx

Ian

• 4 months later...

Hello John

I am the owner of the Kench TR3 the reason it is called a Kench TR3 is because my name is Geoff Kenchington so you can see it is not any of the other copies of my car that cvtrian mentioned.

When my wife and I were younger we use to drive down to Ilfracombe and we use enjoy driving on the country roads in my TR6? then my son Marcus came along and guess what a baby and all the equipment doesn't fit on the back shelf of a TR.

Light bulb moment I thought if I can build a car that I can tow down with my Rover SD1 to Ilfracombe with my wife son and the baby servicing kit (nappisan bucket terry toweling etc) well it was 1982.

So the fun began I went to the kit car show and didn't see anything I like so I thought if I can build my own I liked the look of the TR3 and a friend had a load of discarded panels I bought a bonnet and boot from Exchange and Mart and I had a bit luck by bumping into Reg Woodcock who had the moulds to make the front and rear deck together with the flitch panel which are between the doors and the wings I persuaded him let me have them, I had an old MG Midget I bought a MK3 Cortina front crossmember complete with wishbones and discs etc.

All I needed to do was make a chassis to connect all these bits together I bought the British Road vehicle standards which said White lights at the front red ones at the back with the driver facing forward ( I thought cor is making cars that easy) I had a sheet metal company at the time and build my own chassis this took me 4 years before I drove my car on the public roads it was featured in the Classic Replica magazine the car weighs 750KG has a top speed of about 110MPH all the other replicas came after mine I still use it now in fact as I work part time I went to work in it last only regret as I am 72 are to make the chassis stronger their are no doors you just jump in or in my case creak in see pictures.

Below are of the chassis me testing and in the car park at work bout a week ago I can also tow behind my TR6

Geoff KENCHington     

DSC_1368.JPG

DSC_1364 (2).JPG

DSC_1380.JPG

DSC_1105 (3).JPG

Geoff,

I am impressed!  "All I needed to do was make a chassis to connect all these bits together"!     When 'all those parts' were assorted TR, Ford, atc. etc!   A most successful result.  Do you still have it?

JOhn

5 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Geoff,

I am impressed!  "All I needed to do was make a chassis to connect all these bits together"!     When 'all those parts' were assorted TR, Ford, atc. etc!   A most successful result.  Do you still have it?

JOhn

At the end of his post "in the car park at work bout a week ago I can also tow behind my TR6"

Stuart.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:15 PM, john.r.davies said:

You used to hill climb it? Bring it to Malvern in August, as a 'Sporting TR'??

Hello John we cannot attend Malvern this year, I have taken it to Lincoln a few times when my TR6 was in the survivors display in the main hall it was a convenient way of taking my TR6 with my special on the A frame as I did not want to have to stay at the show ground for two days and my long suffering wife was doing something else well we have been going to car shows for the last 46 years.

It always amazes me how my special causes so much interest when I was at Lincoln I left my special outside the hall where my TR6 was being displayed when I came out after setting it up in the hall there were a few people looking round my special there a few concours cars nearby waiting to go in no one seemed interested in them.

Geoff                  

thumbnail_WP_20180701_10_32_35_Pro.jpg

It always amazes me how my special causes so much interest when I was at Lincoln I left my special outside the hall where my TR6 was being displayed when I came out after setting it up in the hall there were a few people looking round my special there a few concours cars nearby waiting to go in no one seemed interested in them.

Geoff                  

Great stuff Geoff, I can 100% understand that your ‘special’ got more attention than the over polished standard fare….