Fuel filter

Happy new year all!

I have Sytec Motorsport disposable canister fuel filter fitted on the low pressure side, i.e. between the fuel tank and the Bosch pump on my 1975 PI TR6. This was fitted by CTM when they moved the pump outside of the boot into the n/s wheel arch and it replaced the original Lucas filter. It was worked well and I am now replacing the filter.

I have read that some owners have also fitted a filter on the high pressure side, i.e. between the pump and metering unit. What is the purpose of this, given that the original installation only had a single, low pressure, filter? 

Thanks for all your help as always.

Dunno why you need a another filter as there is one on the Bosch pump already after the pump

I also have the Bosch 996 pump in the wheelarch with a sytec prefilter and no postfilter, been working great forever.

No point, as long as you have the big Sytec filter before the pump thats all you need.

Stuart.

Try this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sytec-Uprated-Fuel-Filter-8mm-In-Out-Fits-Nissan-Silvia-S14-200SX-SR20DET-/324072943510?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

there are two sizes that look the same in pics, 75mm long or 155mm , bigger is better ?!

steve

On 1/5/2021 at 3:48 PM, Paul Hill said:

Dunno why you need a another filter as there is one on the Bosch pump already after the pump

Because you a want low pressure filter to stop large bits getting to the pump and damaging it such as metal fragments or grit from the garage - speaking from experience and an expensive replacement pump bought. If you use a paper type filter before the pump you will probably not get enough feed to the pump. The pre-pump filter needs to be a bigger bore and corse filter to give the flow.

After the pump there is lots of pressure to force fuel though a good paper filter to protect your engine. As a minimum you want the latter but best to have both especially with an expensive electric pump in place.

Just now, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I have considered those along with the ‘large bore tank outlet’ that i bought but have yet to fit!

with the Sytec and 996 setup i’ve seen 172BHP on a rolling road so the argument that the standard outlet/8mm systec isnt big enough doesn’t wash for me

steve

Futher to my above post. On my other car it has a TVR V8 producing circa 300bhp. I bougt an inline filter from an eBay shop that is no longer around (darkmutton.com). It was not expensive (£18.99) albeit 6 or 7 years ago. It is a 10mm input and an 8mm output that goes into a Sytec pump.

On the other side I simply use a standard Range Rover V8 paper type inline fuel filter canister.

If I was you, I would simply buy a low cost pre-pump filter that looks right and use a inline post pump filter off a modern similar bhp car or even a high powered one. These are not expensive so go to your local mtor factors. If there is a fuel problem, simply look for a better pre-pump filter.

Loads on eBay.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:55 PM, stuart said:

No point, as long as you have the big Sytec filter before the pump thats all you need.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. How often do you change this filter? 

For the original filter the service interval was 12,000 miles but with my annual milage that will take some years.

48 minutes ago, 6TR said:

Thanks Stuart. How often do you change this filter? 

For the original filter the service interval was 12,000 miles but with my annual milage that will take some years.

For how much they cost I would change them once a year when you do your service.

Stuart.